Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   color choices for a baby quilt for a boy... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/color-choices-baby-quilt-boy-t116360.html)

Afton 04-15-2011 12:19 PM

Hi y'all! I need some imput on color choices for a baby boys quilt, I'm thinking greens and browns or primary colors like red and blue, but my sister, the godmother is thinking baby blues, teals and light greens.

I want this quilt to be useful and attractive for longer than the 1st year of life, do you think that the baby blues and greens are masculine enough to last?

TonnieLoree 04-15-2011 12:23 PM

None of the quilts I made for my grandsons had any baby blues in them. They got the colors gramma liked. The colors that made me smile when I was making them. :lol:

klgreene 04-15-2011 12:23 PM

I like the brighter colors. They can be any bright color, but primary colors would last longer, show less dirt and he might be more likely to carry it around with him longer. Just my opinion.

mollymct 04-15-2011 12:24 PM

I'd prefer your choices. I made my nephew a cute quilt in green,blue and brown and he loves it! I don't think all baby quilts have to be pastels.

MamaBear61 04-15-2011 12:25 PM

I am about to start one for my daughter's SIL and she has chosen baby blue and chocolate brown. Hopefully it will be "big boy" enough to transition into the baby's big bed.

moonwork42029 04-15-2011 12:39 PM

You could show her the choices on the fabric websites and let her see the variety available. The lighter colors to me still carry a "girly" feel to so many of them.

I try to use an animal or fun type print that is bright and colorful. After many many washings you want the colors to stick around and not be puny looking.

For a boy, the zoo look is great, construction items, dinosaurs, cars and what not.

No matter what the color, the love it's made with is the most important

okiepastor 04-15-2011 12:42 PM

I made my grandson a quilt with roads of denim, complete with striping, and 4 panels of farm animal scenes. It has a parking lot too that I painted lines on with fabric paint. He sleeps under it, then parks his cars on it on the floor, and sets up his animal barn and the fences.in the farm scenes.

MTS 04-15-2011 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Afton
do you think that the baby blues and greens are masculine enough to last?

Maybe he wants to get in touch with his feminine side at age .....1 month?
Or will at 4 years old, if the quilt lasts that long.
Are you worried the other kids will taunt him in pre-K because his blankie isn't masculine enough?

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Just make the quilt with lots of love.

Drool and vomit and poop look the same on pink as they do on blue. :mrgreen:

quilt1950 04-15-2011 01:21 PM

I used primary colors for my grandsons, and at 6 1/2, the quilts are still in use. With the new 'sleep guidelines' quilts can't be used with small infants. These quilts were decorations until the boys were in toddler beds.

QuiltnCowgirl 04-15-2011 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hre's a baby quilt I made for a baby boy. The colors requested by the Mom - light blue, green & brown. She loved it when finished. I can see him using it beyond his infant years.