Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Color of thread to use for quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/color-thread-use-quilting-t205199.html)

Bindy_Dee 11-05-2012 01:35 PM

Color of thread to use for quilting

Hi! I am pretty much a novice at quilting although I have made a few baby quilts. I'm going to try my hand at free motion quilting and I wondered about thread color. If the quilt has large blocks of several colors, like pink, purple, and blue, do you use a different color for each block, to match the block? Or so you use one color for all?

Thanks!

ckcowl 11-05-2012 01:58 PM

if you are planning to do an all over edge to edge type quilting i would use a neutral- like light gray if the fabrics are mostly light- a medium or dark gray if the fabrics are darker. creams work well too but grays tend to blend in & disappear. i don't know many people who change threads often when doing free motion quilting but it is your choice. often i will go with the background- when i have alot of colors in the blocks.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-05-2012 02:42 PM

Also, you have to think of how much you want the quilting to show. My FMQ is still not as good as I would like so I tend to go for colors that disappear as much as possibe.

QuiltnNan 11-05-2012 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5637180)
if you are planning to do an all over edge to edge type quilting i would use a neutral- like light gray if the fabrics are mostly light- a medium or dark gray if the fabrics are darker. creams work well too but grays tend to blend in & disappear. i don't know many people who change threads often when doing free motion quilting but it is your choice. often i will go with the background- when i have alot of colors in the blocks.

this is they way i handle it also

gramajo 11-05-2012 03:15 PM

If the blocks are bright colors, have you considered using variegated thread incorporating as many of the colors as possible?

JulieR 11-05-2012 04:32 PM

On similar quilts I've either gone with a neutral, or with whatever color seemed predominant (usually matched my binding). Right now I'm using bright white on a Dr Seuss quilt so it will stand out a little but not be overpowering -- that thing is already crazy enough.

If you want the quilting to be featured, use a brighter color. If it's the texture you're after then pick something neutral. And if you aren't yet confident in your FMQ then don't pre-wash anything and let the quilt shrink up a bit in the dryer. It's a fabulous equalizer. :)

JulieR 11-05-2012 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo (Post 5637313)
If the blocks are bright colors, have you considered using variegated thread incorporating as many of the colors as possible?

This is a great idea, too!

quilts4charity 11-05-2012 04:38 PM

I love variegated thread and use it all the time on my quilts if they have lots of colors in them.

mucky 11-05-2012 04:41 PM

I like to use variegated too and through the years have built up a good supply.

sandy l 11-06-2012 04:32 AM

I do a lot of scrap quilts, so varigated thread is the best choice for me