Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Color Value tip (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/color-value-tip-t236993.html)

JENNR8R 12-20-2013 04:24 AM

This "SnapSeed" works great. I was actually able to figure out how to use it. Thanks! :)

petpainter 12-20-2013 04:24 AM

Years ago I took a quilt watercolor wallhanging class- they recommended buying a cheap pair of red glasses at Valentines season, or in the painting section they sell a red/green tinted plastic that is the size of a 6 inch ruler. Same effect!

sparkys_mom 12-20-2013 05:46 AM

You can also take a photo, load it into your photoshop or whatever photo editor you use and then select b&w to see what you have. I also have a pair of the red and green filters that I purchased from Amazon.http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FQZC8I/...l_7ejb1u2s1j_e

dorismae904 12-20-2013 06:19 AM

Great tip.

JanieH 12-20-2013 06:47 AM

I also have an android phone and never thought of doing this. What a super idea! Thanks for the suggestion!

Nammie to 7 12-20-2013 07:19 AM

There are tricks to every trade!! The more I quilt the more I learn!

Caroline S 12-20-2013 07:26 AM

I find that determining the color value is one of the most difficult things for me to do. My brain tells me that somehow the fabrics are just not working together. Then I remember the red plastic 4"x2" thingy that I bought years ago and resides in my wallet. I guess I am going to move up to modern technology and learn to use the camera function on my cell phone, LOL

dlf0122quilting 12-20-2013 09:53 AM

Thanks for the tip, I just downloaded it and will try it out.

ArchaicArcane 12-20-2013 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by petpainter (Post 6465265)
Years ago I took a quilt watercolor wallhanging class- they recommended buying a cheap pair of red glasses at Valentines season, or in the painting section they sell a red/green tinted plastic that is the size of a 6 inch ruler. Same effect!

Those work, but my purse is full enough. I'll never remember to take them with me when I go shopping. My phone is always with me. :)

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom (Post 6465433)
You can also take a photo, load it into your photoshop or whatever photo editor you use and then select b&w to see what you have. I also have a pair of the red and green filters that I purchased from Amazon.http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FQZC8I/...l_7ejb1u2s1j_e

Absolutely! I do things like this all the time. Irfanview is free for those who don't have Photoshop. I'm sure there are others too that will do simple tasks. I've use IV for years, I think it was version 1 back when I started with it. I don't carry a laptop with me anymore, and the thought was that a phone / tablet may be with you anyway, so when picking the fabrics at the store you'd have it. I just grabbed my phone in the "Studio" because it was there, and thought ... hmmm. ;)

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 6465644)
I find that determining the color value is one of the most difficult things for me to do. My brain tells me that somehow the fabrics are just not working together. Then I remember the red plastic 4"x2" thingy that I bought years ago and resides in my wallet. I guess I am going to move up to modern technology and learn to use the camera function on my cell phone, LOL

That's exactly what lead me there too. I thought they're all the same fabrics, why am I so "blah" about this?

They're 3 of the same fabrics, 3 different colorways. (I didn't pick them, DH did) I looked at them in "Black and White" and it stuck out like a sore thumb. :)

I just like tools that can do double duty. I won't remember the red filter, but my phone I will.

In fact, my phone might be my favorite quilting tool. I take photos of everything - stuff I want to look up to see if I "need" it, stuff I have at home so I don't buy it again (like stencils and patterns), a fabric to match, a fabric I love when I see it somewhere, quilting design ideas (those are -everywhere!) and of course lately all the photos I take for the web are on my phone, because it's easier (at hand) than setting up my camera.

The other thing I use extensively on my phone is the notes. I have lists in there of everything - groceries, stuff I need in the studio, attachments I'm still looking for and for what machine, books I want, project ideas, gift ideas.

A photo album, a note pad and a color value tool all packed into one,.. and I can make calls on it too. ;)

fireworkslover 12-20-2013 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 6463722)
I use the see through red film when I buy fabric. An old red file folder is excellent if you are lucky to still have one or find one. It's big sheets of the red film. Green film is for finding value in red fabrics together.

I have purchased a red vinyl piece in a cardboard frame to use for finding the value in fabrics. For red fabrics i just use a green vinyl page pocket sleeve. It works fine.