Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Colors in a Quilt, What colors you like and dislike and Why? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/colors-quilt-what-colors-you-like-dislike-why-t36571.html)

Boston1954 02-11-2010 07:35 PM

Yellow. I love it in clothing or curtains, but you will RARELY see it in my quilts.

Blue is my favorite color!! I also love Earth tones....tans, browns, greens.

I go with the smaller prints nearly all the time. There was time when I did not think about it, but now I realize that these yards will be cut into pieces that are usually smaller than my fist. Large flowers would not show up well when cut.

mem123 02-11-2010 11:17 PM

Hi Everyone..I love all fall colors for myself but made a blue,lavender and cream quilt for one daughter and Black and white and red for the other daughter.

CajunQuilter2 02-12-2010 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by roselady
When I first started quilting, I would have said I hate orange and most shades of it (rust, peach, etc...). Now I would say, there really isn't a color I won't use. My biggest challege now is to make myself do a two color, two fabric quilt. Actually a 2 color quilt I would like to do, but limiting myself to 2 fabrics.....mmm I don't know if it will ever happen.

I purchased a book that is full of 2 color quilt patterns. Lots of great patterns.

CajunQuilter2 02-12-2010 02:03 AM

I like most all colors except the irredecent colors. For me I dislike more fabric patterns and designs. When I am in a lqs usually what catches my eye the most is Moda. My least favoirte is Amy Butler. My favorite color is purple, all shades. I love the pink, purple, green (pastels) combination. I love jewel tones, not much into the muddy colors, like Thimbleberries and such. They tend to be oppressive to me when I look at them.

GladGrams 02-12-2010 02:34 AM

My least favorite color is bright orange, though I love the peach colors. I am usually surprised by what my eye catches at the lqs - the teal colors and other bluish greens, yet I have none of them in my home.

When I want to make something for me, I choose the warm colors of autumn (and peach) usually including a dark blue with some yellow and red in them.

I would so much like to work on a quilt with jewel tones... maybe next time, huh?

aliaslaceygreen 02-12-2010 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
I have yet to find a color that doesn't work somewhere for something, but I pretty much stay away for orange, just because it's not my taste. Don't use much purple either unless it's for my mother-in-law. I lean heavy on greens, tans, and blues.

you know, i would have said orange too, about a year ago. But I have three different planned (groups of fabrics purchased, some with patterns chosen) quilts which feature orange prominently!!! Never say never!!

tkhooper 02-12-2010 06:00 AM

I don't do pastels. They don't fit my personality. I love asian prints that are in bold colors. And I love fabrics that have pictures that I can showcase.

Ramblinrose 02-12-2010 06:18 AM

Bright colors are gorgeous but the more quilts I make, the more I find myself preferring the quiet, restful colors to actually use. Love creams and tans. It may be just a phase I'm going through!

dsj 02-12-2010 04:55 PM

You all are right, It's not that I really dislike a certain color I just stick to certain ones for some reason. I am afraid to step out of the box I think.

cjaye44 02-12-2010 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have usually leaned towards pastels and the 30's prints but last year DD asked me to make a quilt for a friend's new baby...something really bright!! I was panic stricken for a while but came up with this. Completely out of my comfort zone but when it was finished I absolutely loved it. Now I do the Downy quilts and they are also really bright. I know now I was in a rut and needed to stretch my mindset a little. More fabric to add to the collection...lol