Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Colors for selling things? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/colors-selling-things-t54988.html)

quiltingbee12 07-17-2010 05:03 PM

Hi!
I think I posted something similar a while ago(maybe not, I don't remember) about selling stuff. I am finally ready to start doing that.
My questions are these.
What are good colors to make, when I am making glasses cases, place mats, window shades, etc?
How many quantities of the same item do I want to have?

Thank you

Maggiesmom 07-17-2010 05:12 PM

Depending on the time of year. Going into fall I would use fall colors on placemats, eyeglass cases probably bright cheerful prints, decorate towels for the seasons. Make 4 or 5 of each and test their popularity.

amma 07-17-2010 05:13 PM

Check out what the current color schemes are...
When it comes to home decor, there are soooo many different schemes, and people like to match them to theirs...
It is hard to say how many of each item to make... maybe make a few each and see how they sell?

mrspete 07-17-2010 05:16 PM

I like dark prints on the front and a nice solid coordinating on the back for glasses case. I think ten or twelve is a nice arrangement with about three color combinations available.

With Place mats, I usually make six sets with two sets of each color combinations. Smaller families nowdays, so four to a set or eight alike. I am a floral nut, so I like springing florals all over the place. snicker

Dont know about window shades but I think if they are the kind you draw up, then double thickness for black out effect but for sets???? don't think so, but about eight of them all the same. If you were talking about Valances, well that is a hard one. I just made a bunch of table runners and I need more plain/solid for backing. I am about tired of the unbleached muslin. You work so hard it just seems unfinished with the bare looking muslin.

Hope you make good sales. I haven't accumulated much yet but by November, I hope to have abunch made up. I'm looking for microfiber to make armchair thingies that you put the TV guide, clicker and pencil and paper in. Something useful for elderly wheelchairs, too. But microfiber is no skid so they won't be loosing things as easily (I hope.) Also, I am going to make some capes for elderly, reversable, too. They really enjoyed the and I had a little strap in front with velcro. Darling florals and then I did plaids for the guys. I found some car fabric but I won't be able to make but one. The end of the cape in front has pockets in them. I love them. I'm a little old lady who needs her shoulders and neck kept warm. OOPS, I got carried away.

Blessings,
Ruth

kayquilt 07-17-2010 05:58 PM

Ruth, what kind of capes is it that you make. This seems like a good project for a group to make for nursing homes as a community project. The quilt guild that I belong to does a lot of community projects.

mrspete 07-17-2010 06:48 PM

They are circular around the shoulder with long (not sure what to call it) things that dangle in the front with a pocket on the end. The fleece really look nice on one side and a simple quilt block on the back. It is my own making so I'd have to figure out how to draw a pattern for you. I had a voile cape once and it was 40 inches from my neck in the back to the bottom of the hem. I usually put a small tie at the front with velcro on it so it won't fall off the shoulders, but I don't tie it down. They were pretty popular. I don't think I have another one around nor a picture. I'll get busy and see if I can explain it better. Thanks for asking Kay.

Blessings,
Ruth

kayquilt 07-17-2010 07:22 PM

Ruth, thanks for the information. I just think that it might be something that nursing homes could use. I sing with a group from my church at area nursing homes and I have notices that a lot of the residents are bundled up even in the summer. This might be something that would be easier to put on them than a jacket or sweater.