Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   colors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/colors-t270895.html)

BarbaraSTX 10-09-2015 07:20 AM

colors

I'm working on a quilt using 30's repro fabrics, mostly pastels, but I have some red and dark blues. My question is, would you use some blacks in it as well? I'm a little color challenged, so your input is greatly appreciated.
TIA

ckcowl 10-09-2015 07:57 AM

If you like the look with black added go for it. I've never seen a 30's quilt with black but you certainly could make something new. I think the pattern you are using would make a difference in how black would set it off.

ManiacQuilter2 10-09-2015 08:00 AM

I don't know why but I never included any of the navy or red reproduction in my 30's quilt. I guess it is because I like the shabby chic look. My best friend at the time did use the darker colors in her quilts.

dunster 10-09-2015 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
First of all it's your quilt, and you can use whatever fabrics you want in it. It's very possible that mixing black with 30's fabrics would look fabulous. I can also imagine it as a background fabric, in place of the dark blue that was more typically used. Mixing up fabrics is a great way to make something more modern. However if you're going for a 30's look, you probably would not use black.

If you have EQ, you might experiment with the color combinations to see how it looks and whether you like it. I did it with this Dresden Plates quilt and I think it looks pretty good.

joe'smom 10-09-2015 09:15 AM

I think if you have some dark blues, you probably don't need black.

tessagin 10-09-2015 09:25 AM

If there is any black in the fabrics then I would certainly audition black. If there is no black I would use little if any. Then go with your gut instinct and be true to it.

Kitsie 10-09-2015 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have also included black in my 30's Dresdens and love the "pop"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]532937[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7340612)
First of all it's your quilt, and you can use whatever fabrics you want in it. It's very possible that mixing black with 30's fabrics would look fabulous. I can also imagine it as a background fabric, in place of the dark blue that was more typically used. Mixing up fabrics is a great way to make something more modern. However if you're going for a 30's look, you probably would not use black.

If you have EQ, you might experiment with the color combinations to see how it looks and whether you like it. I did it with this Dresden Plates quilt and I think it looks pretty good.

dunster 10-09-2015 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie (Post 7340741)
I have also included black in my 30's Dresdens and love the "pop"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]532937[/ATTACH]

OMG, yes, that black print is a winner in your quilt.

oh munner 10-09-2015 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7340803)
OMG, yes, that black print is a winner in your quilt.

I agree totally, the black in this block really pops. However, the other colors in this example are more saturated as well, and I think that makes a big difference. I'm not so sure I'd use black with the paler 1930's reproduction fabrics. That contrast may be a bit too much.

P-BurgKay 10-09-2015 08:14 PM

There several black 30's reproductions prints I have several. I have a quilt that my great-grandmother made in the 30's and there is black prints, brown prints and several gray prints. I was really surprised at this, there are darker colors also, not all pastel or lighter prints. Darker blues, greens and a many reds.