Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Combining Embroidery with Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/combining-embroidery-quilting-t282566.html)

Rennie 09-29-2016 02:27 AM

Combining Embroidery with Quilting

Tuesday I went to a trunk show by a well-known embroiderer from South Africa, and she had just finished a quilt top where she had put some of her larger embroidery designs into squares and then made the blocks into a quilt top following a BOM from one of the well-known (and mentioned on here before ) quilting bloggers. It was beautiful AND really inspiring because I do love my embroidery machine, and we have had discussions on here about combining embroidery with quilting. I was going to post a picture I took of her top, but I am not sure that would be allowed since it was not mine.

Anyway, let's not forget we have so many choices - not just fabrics.

quilts4charity 09-29-2016 06:00 AM

I just finished 2 quilts with embroidery on them, I don't always use embroidery but sometimes I think it works beautifully.

NZquilter 09-29-2016 06:32 AM

I embroider quilt blocks all the time, then put them together into a quilt. It's one of my favorite ways to make quilts. :)

quiltstringz 09-29-2016 07:55 AM

I think of embroidery as just making your own fabric. Instead of a preprinted fabric to fussy cut you just embroider what you want. No reason the two shouldn't be combined if that is what you want.

sewbizgirl 09-29-2016 09:20 AM

I love hand embroidery in quilts but not machine embroidery. I'm just not a fan of machine embroidery at all....

lb70542 09-29-2016 09:59 AM

do it all the time. I cut my block larger than the finished size I want (exp. If my finishes size is a 6in. block. I cut my block 7 in. then embroidery and cut down to 6 1/2 so once i sew blocks together I have my finished 6in block)

Linda1 10-01-2016 02:20 AM

I love my embroidery machine to make quilt blocks.

KathyJ 10-01-2016 06:12 AM

I do hand embroidery in the evenings when watching TV. Very simple line only redwork type florals. I get the designs from various books or free on the internet. I love Jacobean outline type designs. When the blocks are finished, I set them into a quilt with appropriate colors and donate them to our local heart hospital. They seem to enjoy receiving them. I usu start w/10" fabric, do the embroidery & trim to 9.5". I have an embroidery machine but prefer this method.

Mary Rita T 10-01-2016 08:53 AM

Adding hand embroidery is my favorite way to personalize quilts. For rag quilts, I usually add a layer of batting since this provides depth. However, as I learned too late on my first rag quilt, the batting will retract into a lump around the embroidery unless secured around the edges. This "lumping" can easily be prevented by stiching a quarter or half inch from the edge of the batting.

JanieH 10-01-2016 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mary Rita T (Post 7665995)
Adding hand embroidery is my favorite way to personalize quilts. For rag quilts, I usually add a layer of batting since this provides depth. However, as I learned too late on my first rag quilt, the batting will retract into a lump around the embroidery unless secured around the edges. This "lumping" can easily be prevented by stiching a quarter or half inch from the edge of the batting.

That's a great tip - thank you.