Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Coming to San Francisco area (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/coming-san-francisco-area-t5869.html)

Cresha 04-02-2008 11:43 AM

Good afternoon everyone. I will be in Fremont California on April 24 and while my husband is attending a business meeting, I will have most of the day to myself. Does anyone know of a quilting shop or a yarn shop in the area. It would have to be very close because 1. I don't find places well and 2. My husband will not agree to let me go very far by myself in a strange place.

MCH 04-02-2008 01:28 PM

Hello, Cresha,
Only 1 day in the Bay Area? Oh, dear! There is so much to see and do.
Nevertheless....
I live in Fremont and there is one quilt shop in town.

This is the web site

http://www.sistersnstitches.com/products.html

It's in an area of offices and small businesses, near Fry's electronics (everyone in the area knows Fry's...it's a computer geeks nirvana). If you're staying at a local hotel, just ask them for very specific directions to the quilt shop, or just go to Google Maps and map it out.

While you can't spend all day at this particular quilt shop, there are other quilt shops in the area, but you would need to travel 12 - 15 miles to reach them.

A place I enjoy "visiting" in Fremont is the Niles district...several antique shops and other "funky" places to window shop. Fremont is comprised of 5 small towns that merged in the late 1950's. Niles is one of those small towns...a railroad town. It's a fun place to take a stroll.

You could also go to Central Park and stroll around Lake Elizabeth. It's a lovely spot at the foot of the hills and it has an utterly magnificent view of Mission Peak.

On the other side of town (not far) is the Don Edwards National Wildlife Preserve. It's a group of hills (not steep at all) at the edge of San Francisco Bay. The views are world-class and it's a wonderful place to walk and to enjoy all the birds. The hills are dotted with oak trees, but for the most part, it's all grass. There is a great interperative center on-site that tells you all about the natural history of the area. It's are real treat to walk along the edge of the bay! If the sky is VERY clear, and you have hiked to the top of one of the hills, you may be able to see San Francisco to the northwest. Bring a picnic lunch and you'll be a happy "day camper".

I hope you enjoy your stay in Fremont...

You should have exquisite wather...but bring a light jacket as evenings are cool.

take care,
madolyn

Cresha 04-02-2008 01:44 PM

We will be in the area for about 6 days, but that day Steve has a business meeting all day long. The other days we will sight see together and he isn't into "quilting shopping". I usually go with him on business trips and while he does his thing, I do mine. Works great, we are both happy! Thank you so much for the info. I am sure I can find the quilt shop and I love to window shop.

Extreme Quilter 04-03-2008 05:04 AM

We passed through Fremont last year and I seem to recall a JoAnn's ETC store in town, which was very large, well stocked and TIDY! I seem to remember it was across the street from a Best Buy's. You could easily spend a couple hours there.

quiltmaker101 04-03-2008 12:48 PM

I have heard that there is a fabric district in San Francisco. You should call their board of tourism, or your hotel concierge for directions and maybe a list of local quilt shops. I don't think there are many right in SF. Maybe you can amuse yourself at Pier 39 and Ghiradelli's Chocolate Factory?

There are several in the Sunnyvale, San Jose and Monterey area, but that is a few hours drive. I'm sure you can find a lot of quilt shops if you do an internet search for the Bay Area.

If you want to have fun on one of your other 6 days together, go in to Palo Alto and eat at the Creamery. There are lots of cute shops right there also. I love the kitchen shop, but can't remember the name.

San Francisco is a "strange" place, so I wouldn't wander too far alone for any kind of shopping!

Aileen 04-04-2008 10:18 AM

I live in San Jose which is about 1/2 hour away going south. There is a cute quilt shop in Alvardo-Niles district in Fremont and several Jo-Ann stores in the area. I can't remember the name right off the top of my head but if you ask anyone where that district is, they will direct you. If you come to Santa Clara County there are quite a few. Eddies Quilting Bee, Fabric's N Fun, The Granary, Natural Expressions,Quilters Nest, Prairie Queens, Quilts and Things and the Whiffle Tree and of course several Jo Ann's and Hancock Fabrics.