Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Commissioned Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/commissioned-quilt-t309197.html)

kandmb115 01-14-2020 06:10 PM

Commissioned Quilt

A person I made a king sized quilt for 2 years ago wanted another. The first I only charged $250, since I had fabrics I had on hand, sale priced.

Wanting another king sized quilt, he wanted a dragon quilt. I usually find fabrics on sale and am able to provide a quilt for around that price. Quoted about $300 with 1/2 deposit. He sent me $150. Unfortunately, the fabric chosen was $11.75 per yard. Longarm quilter charges 1 cent per sq in, so that is at least $100. After recalculation, expenses alone are $342.89.

I contacted him again and stated, due to the cost of fabrics, the price would be higher.

He agreed to pay $350 only, nothing for my expenses or time. I told him I couldn't do it for that price, with two pillowcases included, shipping to him, etc.

He declined and wanted a full refund.

Since fabric has been ordered and will require sending back to company. I can't afford to take a loss.

How would you handle this?

Refund all except expenses, itemized to show expenses?

Tartan 01-14-2020 06:18 PM

If the company will take back the fabric and give you a refund, then I would send back his down payment minus the amount to send a certified check. If you can’t get a refund on the fabric then it would have to be a refund less your expenses. Good luck!

kandmb115 01-14-2020 06:20 PM

Expenses, including postage, I am assuming.

toogie 01-14-2020 07:11 PM

People don't understand the cost of a quilt, because they have never seen the price of yardage, the amount of yardage or the work involved. I hope you can come to a satisfactory settlement on both sides. Good luck.

Flyboy Jim 01-14-2020 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by kandmb115 (Post 8351041)
A person I made a king sized quilt for 2 years ago wanted another. The first I only charged $250, since I had fabrics I had on hand, sale priced.

Wanting another king sized quilt, he wanted a dragon quilt. I usually find fabrics on sale and am able to provide a quilt for around that price. Quoted about $300 with 1/2 deposit. He sent me $150. Unfortunately, the fabric chosen was $11.75 per yard. Longarm quilter charges 1 cent per sq in, so that is at least $100. After recalculation, expenses alone are $342.89.

I contacted him again and stated, due to the cost of fabrics, the price would be higher.

He agreed to pay $350 only, nothing for my expenses or time. I told him I couldn't do it for that price, with two pillowcases included, shipping to him, etc.

He declined and wanted a full refund.

Since fabric has been ordered and will require sending back to company. I can't afford to take a loss.

How would you handle this?

Refund all except expenses, itemized to show expenses?

I'm not quite understanding why you would of quoted a price before you knew what your expenses would be.

Based on what I read, I think I'd send him his $150 back since you aren't willing to make the quilt for the price you quoted. Your loss can be chalked up to a learning experience. Expensive lesson.

Jim

quiltingshorttimer 01-14-2020 07:25 PM

sorry to say that I agree with Flyboy Jim on this--the price quoted was just amazingly too low for a king size quilt unless you were able to find yardage for $3 or less per yard. In reality you way underpriced the first quilt you did for this person when you used your own stash and apparently didn't really charge for those materials probably what they cost you originally. In the future I would not order any fabric until you are able to quote a more realistic price as many nonquilters really are clueless about the cost of materials, quilting, not to mention labor.

Peckish 01-14-2020 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 8351052)
sorry to say that I agree with Flyboy Jim on this

Sorry to say this, but I also agree with the previous two posters.

dunster 01-14-2020 09:46 PM

I agree that you should refund the entire amount. It's not a total loss for you, since you can use the fabric you purchased for other quilts.

Bobbielinks 01-15-2020 03:26 AM

I must agree with those who say if you gave a quote, you need to not go over that quote. I would send his $150 back, and either send the fabric back to company or keep it in my stash and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

QuiltnNan 01-15-2020 04:06 AM

If the electrician or plumber quoted me a price but later told me it would be more, I'd cancel the order and ask for a refund of the full deposit. In my mind, that is they way business is done. I'm sorry for your expensive lesson.