Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Companion baby quilt for twin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/companion-baby-quilt-twin-t313898.html)

mjpEncinitas 01-17-2021 07:42 PM

Companion baby quilt for twin

1 Attachment(s)
I’m making baby quilts for my twin granddaughters to be. Both quilts will be big enough for both babies to lay on. The first top was easy. I had farm block kits from a shop hop from a few years ago. Much more cutesy than I usually do. Now I need to come up with a 2nd one.

I don’t want to make two the same. I thought maybe sea creatures and the beach but It doesn’t have to be that.

any theme ideas?
Any block patterns you like for baby quilts? Especially for the beach.
Any fabric that would lend itself to a baby quilt, that you especially enjoyed working with.

thanks for your help
MJ

a lot of these farm blocks were raw edge applique and thanks to the board advice I double sewed the applique down, with small stitches. I triple stitched the ears down so when the girls drags the quilt around by the ears it won’t tear off.

laurilli 01-17-2021 10:31 PM

I don't have any ideas for you, but that is CUTE!

jacqueck 01-18-2021 02:30 AM

Your quilt is adorable. Why not the same theme? Change some of the blocks, different colors, rearrange them in the quilt and a different border fabric. I agree not a duplicate to what you've done, but a companion. A "twin" quilt.

copycat 01-18-2021 02:41 AM

Moda bake shop has a pattern called By the Seashore offered free in 2019. I am unable to get the Moda website to load right now to send you the link. I remember it has cute beach blocks. I hope it is still offered for free.

illinois 01-18-2021 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by jacqueck (Post 8453608)
Your quilt is adorable. Why not the same theme? Change some of the blocks, different colors, rearrange them in the quilt and a different border fabric. I agree not a duplicate to what you've done, but a companion. A "twin" quilt.

Great idea! You might check--Eleanor Burns' Quilt in a Day had "block of the month" a year or so ago "Fun on the Farm" with a nice assortment of farm blocks. I'm not sure if it is still available but it was free at the time.

WMUTeach 01-18-2021 03:34 AM

My only comment is to don't be afraid or concerned about making two different quilts. These little grandsweeties may be twins but they will be two unique individuals. I have twin grands, and although they are dear friends and are extremely close they are also different in personality, looks and interests. Honor their differences from the "get go" and make them two special quilts that come from your heart. https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

bearisgray 01-18-2021 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by jacqueck (Post 8453608)

I like this suggestion.

lindaschipper 01-18-2021 05:46 AM

I've used an easy pattern for a charm pack called "Building Blocks" by Sterling Quilt Company for some Project Linus Quilts. Baby size is 36 1/2 x 45" without extra borders added on. It only takes 7/8 of a yard of a sold background (without borders) and 1 1/2 yards of backing. This is so easy I can now make them in my sleep. Give the pattern a look and tell me what you think. Good luck!

Tartan 01-18-2021 05:59 AM

Maybe since you did the barn animals, a Dog Daze or Feline Frenzy?

mjpEncinitas 01-18-2021 09:14 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions. Don’t our local shops do a great job with the cruisin quilters shop hop? Two of these blocks (pig and farmhouse) came from our local quilt in a day shop. The chicken border fabric was also in one of the shops on that hop too.

i made a dog quilt for the twins big sister and their brother and I are making a cat quilt together.

i think I will do the sea creatures. we had a tropical shop hop a few years ago so I’ll do some of those. I have an octopus and shark pattern from an alphabet quilt. I found a group of three patterns that were quite reasonable.

thank you for clarifying my thinking.