Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Computerized Quilting - is it cheating? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/computerized-quilting-cheating-t100757.html)

MaryStoaks 02-18-2011 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by knlsmith

Originally Posted by scowlkat
I agree totally. Different methods, different criteria for judging should be applied. Cheating? Well, no more than using an Accuquilt to cut your pieces or even a rotary cutter for that matter.

Ditto

Not cheating!!! If I had one I would use it! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sadiemae 02-18-2011 09:27 AM

This is an interesting thread. I think there should be a separate category in quilt shows for freehand quilting (no pantos/no computer). I just don't feel like I should be compared to a written pattern or a computer. Just my opinion.

dmyers 02-18-2011 09:36 AM

I don't think it's cheating. I think FMQ is a wonderful talent. But I also think using a computer with your LA is also a talant, there is as much work to line up the design and there are wonderful artists out there that are making lots of money sharing their designs for others that don't have the skill or the time to do custom work. I think it's a wonderful technology.

JanetM 02-18-2011 01:25 PM

I wouldn't consider it cheating, but in a quilt show each method should have it's own catagory, because each method requires different skills.

Longarm Express Quilting Co. 02-18-2011 01:41 PM

I sure don't consider it cheating! I love computerized designs.

fabric_fancy 02-18-2011 02:18 PM

i don't see anything wrong with computer quilting but if judging in a show, then it should have different categories.

Holice 02-18-2011 02:22 PM

if a show is large enough then there will usually be categories for each and they can be judged knowing how they were quilted. Even if there are not separate categories, a good judge can usually tell if it was computerized and judge the elements that were required in executing it.

sewingsuz 02-18-2011 02:31 PM

it should not be called cheating. It is just another method of doing a job. everything has new updated way of getting the job done. The dentist and their new insturments to make things better. I do think these types of how a quilt is quilted is seperated at quilt show. Lots of technology in the last 25 yrs has improved our way of life.

jljack 02-18-2011 02:32 PM

I have had discussions on this very topic with several friends. Generally (get that distinction?) if the quilting is being done for a quilt that will not be entered for any judging, then NO, it's not "cheating", it's just another type of quilting. HOWEVER, when judging is involved, I have seen shows where computerized quilting was judged alongside hand-guided machine quilting. I don't feel that is fair..it would be like attaching a paint brush to a computer arm and then entering the picture as your own in a competition.

I have seen that the categories are being separated...and that makes it fair to all.

And that is MY Personal Opinion!! :-)

quilttiludrop 02-18-2011 03:16 PM

Separate judging in shows: yes!

Cheating: no!