Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cones of Threads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cones-threads-t315064.html)

Iceblossom 04-13-2021 04:59 AM

Cones of Threads

1 Attachment(s)
I've never had the wonderful opportunity to deal with having a lot of cones of threads before. Spools I have a system. I'm looking for tips better than sticking them in a drawer -- which is their basic status right now. I do wish to keep them out of the light.

Recently I won an auction for a large lot of So Fine thread, around/over 20?? large cones. Six are still wrapped but most are opened and range from the very full to maybe half. I've looked but I haven't found any secret method of securing the loose threads. I wish to keep the labels with the color numbers in place. Maybe it's not the issue it once was since my cat passed, but I hate it when a thread escapes and gets pulled all over the place.

It wasn't quite what I wanted (the more knitted type) but my first stop was to the dollar store and I picked up some hair bands. They are doing ok for now holding the full cones.

What all do the rest of you do?

That's Smoke and Silver with hairbands on the backing for my Bonnie Hunter top.

Karamarie 04-13-2021 05:01 AM

Wow that is a beautiful thread. I have mine thread spools in a silverware tray within a drawer. As far as the ends, haven't found what works for me yet. Will be watching this thread for ideas.

Barb in Louisiana 04-13-2021 05:05 AM

I mostly use the hair bands like you did, but Saran Wrap can work good too. And mine are all in drawers to keep dust off them. The spool net covers work great. https://www.ebay.com/itm/25485641541...37fa2f3618b6bd These can be left on so the thread doesn't spool off too quickly when you are sewing.

Iceblossom 04-13-2021 05:06 AM

Oooo... already a great idea! In the new products stuff at my local goodwill are a number of Bamboo silverware trays... Basically just an open box with equal divisions. I think the divisions would be a super size -- and if not, probably a better solution for my Aurifil shaped threads. Today is my Tuesday quilting group, I'll run to the Goodwill with a couple of spools in my purse.

Thanks karamarie!

OurWorkbench 04-13-2021 05:27 AM

I will sometimes cut up old panty hose to put over spools to hold loose ends, kind of like the nets. I like the Saran Wrap (Cling Wrap) idea, too.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Snooze2978 04-13-2021 05:36 AM

I use nets from the flower shops. Their flowers all have a netting over them to keep them from getting damaged during shipment. These are usually around 4-8 inches long made out of a plastic and can be cut without raveling so you can make them the size you need for the spool in question. Most times the floral shops throw them out so they'll give them to you free or have in the past for me. I started out with socks that would eventually unravel in time so as they go bad on me I replace them with the floral nets. Free is good!!!!

juliasb 04-13-2021 05:55 AM

I have 2 large bins full of large cone threads and several smaller cases that I keep thread in. the best thing I have found for loose thread ends is the netting that you put over the cones. This secures the thread nicely and the netting is sold in long sections that you cut to the cone sizes. I wouldn't be able to manage all my thread without it.
BTW great auction find.

Doggramma 04-13-2021 05:59 AM

I have some of those big old candy jars, and that’s where I store all of my threads including the cones.

Onebyone 04-13-2021 06:52 AM

I use Amazing Tape to hold my thread end to the spool. The tape only sticks to itself so nothing sticky on it. It's reusable forever I guess, still using the firsts pieces I cut. I have my cones of thread in see through thread cone holders. I found them on sale over the years at different online sites I have them stacked on a shelf. I use to keep them on spool racks hung on the wall but they were getting dusty. Nothing is more tedious then dusting spools of thread. LOL

GregB 04-13-2021 07:00 AM

I use blue painters tape to hold the loose ends.