Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Confused... Frame Quilting, need advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/confused-frame-quilting-need-advice-t248783.html)

AllyStitches 06-20-2014 02:37 PM

Confused... Frame Quilting, need advice

Hi Everyone,

Bear with me a little? I'm brand new to quilting on a frame (haven't even started yet... Waiting for my machine to arrive on Monday. But what I lack in experience I *totally* make up for in enthusiasm! Ha!)

Some of you read my story about my quilting frame in my intro-- suffice to say for now, that after storing it for 5 or so years, I now have it set up in my sewing room. I have a New Joy Gold Standard that someone attached some Handi Handles to, instead of leaving the stock handle. I don't remember which model they are off the top of my head, but I know that they don't fit with the Janome 1600P-QC I'm waiting on. They're for a Bernina. My husband said he would modify the cord to fit the Janome, and from what I've read, that should work? The rest of the frame was still in its packaging and has never been used. I don't know the history on the handles.

And another question: I'm really thinking of purchasing a stitch regulator. I hear from some people that they love theirs, others not so much. I think I would like having one. Do I still need speed control if I end up with a stitch regulator?

Thanks for all advice, I really would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

dunster 06-20-2014 05:30 PM

I love having a stitch regulator. However many quilters prefer to quilt without one. And not all stitch regulators are created equal. I'm not at all familiar with what's available for a DSM on a frame. I think it would be best to try your machine without a stitch regulator first. Decide whether the frame and machine work well together before investing in more equipment.

AllyStitches 06-20-2014 08:01 PM

That's what I was thinking, too. Try it out and see. I have some muslin to use for practice, and then I plan to donate the practice pieces to the animal shelter.

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6766966)
I love having a stitch regulator. However many quilters prefer to quilt without one. And not all stitch regulators are created equal. I'm not at all familiar with what's available for a DSM on a frame. I think it would be best to try your machine without a stitch regulator first. Decide whether the frame and machine work well together before investing in more equipment.

mermaid 06-21-2014 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by AllyStitches (Post 6766771)

And another question: I'm really thinking of purchasing a stitch regulator. I hear from some people that they love theirs, others not so much. I think I would like having one. Do I still need speed control if I end up with a stitch regulator?

Thanks for all advice, I really would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Why don't you start with the stitch regulator and see if that is enough to accomplish your needs, before investing in the stitch regulator. The cruise control is not expensive---I got a new one (Grace) on eBay for $50 for my Elna, and I am loving it. And loving the money I saved which can now go into threads & fabric.

AllyStitches 06-21-2014 06:18 AM

I think one of the problems I'm having is that the Handi Handles that are attached to the frame won't work with my machine. So my husband will have to modify the cord if I'm going to use them. If I don't use them, can I just use the foot pedal? Or, if I buy a stitch regulator, do I still have to connect to the handles?

Sorry. I know these are annoying questions, but I'm trying to plan so that when I get my machine, I can get things set up. I'm excited and want to move forward.

AllyStitches 06-21-2014 07:41 AM

Ok. I answered my own question. The stitch regulator plugs into the machine where the foot pedal plugs in. So I would use that instead of the Handi Handles.