Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Confused by quilt sizes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/confused-quilt-sizes-t302316.html)

laurac 01-16-2019 01:11 PM

Confused by quilt sizes

I admit, I am confused. So many patterns seem to be random sizes. I like to quilt queen size but most patterns are not queen sized. Sometimes I can figure out how many rows of blocks to add, borders to add or size differently.

Is this not an issue for anyone else?

nativetexan 01-16-2019 02:11 PM

I do find that too. usually it is easy to add more blocks or wider borders. These days i guess quilts are made for many things and people don't think just bed quilts.

Boston1954 01-16-2019 02:15 PM

Nearly all of my quilts are lap sized. I guess it is not a problem for me.

toverly 01-16-2019 02:21 PM

I make lap size also but I always seem to measure the beds in my house to figure out what I want. I have a twin, queen and king, no full size. Typically, I end up with somewhere in the twin size range. Since mattresses are thicker now, I want to make certain the quilt hangs over the mattress overlapping the dust ruffle of the box springs. But some beds now only have frames no box springs. I don't trust older patterns sizes and always double check. One of these days I'll write it down.

EasyPeezy 01-16-2019 02:23 PM

I just make the quilt the size I want. What's a Queen size anyway?
They seem to vary a lot.

DawnFurlong 01-16-2019 02:45 PM

I agree with NativeTexan and EasyPeezy. I just make the size I want, usually it is easy to add a row or I make up the difference in my border (just depends on how many inches I need to add).

Like toverly, I want my quilt to cover my mattress/overlap the dust ruffle. I always have to add some because mattresses are thicker today. For my previous queen size bed, I typically made close to a king size quilt (allowing for shrinkage and for the quilt to have the overhang I wanted).

Occasionally I have wanted to use a pattern where I couldn't quite figure out what I needed to add. Thus far I have just moved on to a different pattern and put the original pattern on the back burner to either make another size (or figure out what I would need to add to make it the size I want it).

If the pattern is such that I need to add too many rows to keep the pattern intact (thus making the quilt to big after considering borders) - I typically add what I need in the border alone (but I still consider whether that would be proportional to my eyes). Or I might increase the size of the blocks if that is feasible (so maybe going from a 9" block to a 10" block).

Ms Morgan 01-16-2019 03:16 PM

Try googling Sassy Quilter, she has some helpful charts that show sizes and how charm packs, etc relate to sizes. I'm new to this so I need that extra help! Hope it helps you laurac

JustAbitCrazy 01-16-2019 03:16 PM

I'm with you, and try to avoid small patterns. I think for may designers it's easier, quicker, and cheaper to design a small pattern: less pattern instructions, quicker to make up the quilt for the photo.

Jingle 01-16-2019 04:07 PM

I go by the measurements with the pattern and go from there. I have a full size bed with thick mattress and a 4" topper'
The bed is very high so I lean towards a queen size quilt. I have a dust ruffle to cover box springs. If I want to enlarge the size of quilt I just add borders to make it big enough.

dunster 01-16-2019 04:59 PM

A pattern designer can't possibly feature every possible bed size on the pattern. We all want something different, depending on the beds we want to cover, whether we want a pillow tuck, how deep the mattress and box spring are, whether we have a footboard and/or headboard, etc. Luckily it's easy to add more blocks or borders (or remove some).