Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Confused (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/confused-t83485.html)

lisalisa 12-17-2010 12:43 PM

They are so expensive. Do you all have some super special secret store you get these things from? I've made probably ten quilts in my life. All using the standard foot that came with the machine. My mother in law gave it to me and she kept the other attachments. :thumbdown:
I've only recently realized that I need them ALL..or maybe I just want them all.
:thumbup:

bearisgray 12-17-2010 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by lisalisa
They are so expensive. Do you all have some super special secret store you get these things from? I've made probably ten quilts in my life. All using the standard foot that came with the machine. My mother in law gave it to me and she kept the other attachments. :thumbdown:
I've only recently realized that I need them ALL..or maybe I just want them all.
:thumbup:

Does she still have the other attachments? Did she have some reason for keeping them? Maybe she just forgot to include them?

okiepastor 12-17-2010 12:53 PM

Look on eBay--have just been there beaucoup parts!

Prism99 12-17-2010 12:55 PM

The only thing to be careful of with the snap-on feet is to make sure that the width of the little rod is correct. I've seen snap-on feet with different widths in that rod.

What kinds of attachments are you wanting? A walking foot is not clamp-on, so you simply need to buy the correct walking foot for your machine. Often it is best to buy the walking foot made specifically for your machine, and they tend to be expensive; however, generic walking feet work well on some machines and are usually more in the neighborhood of $25-35.

Most other feet will not be particularly expensive. I have seen some snap-on feet at Walmart for around $10. Purchased individually, these could add up. Probably the least expensive way to get the feet is to find a set on eBay that you are sure will fit your machine.

lisalisa 12-17-2010 12:55 PM

Does she still have the other attachments? Did she have some reason for keeping them? Maybe she just forgot to include them?
Presumably to use on her NEW machine! I honestly never thought to ask. Beggars can't be choosers I suppose :)

bearisgray 12-17-2010 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by lisalisa

Presumably to use on her NEW machine! I honestly never thought to ask. Beggars can't be choosers I suppose :)

As far as I know, most new machines come with several presser feet.

Maride 12-17-2010 01:48 PM

This machine is a low shank with a standard size snap on foot. Basically what this means is that you can change some feet by pressing a small button on the back of the foot. Those feet look very low with a small rod across the top. Many vintage Singers are slanted needle and their parts will not fit the machine. If you are not sure just by looking I suggest not to get anything off Ebay. If you have a brother dealer nearby, this machine can use most of the feet you can use on a Brother.

glenda5253 12-17-2010 09:48 PM

Another subject I am so glad to see here on the board. I have always wondered - high, low shank, snap on foot, etc. I saved the link to ehow. Thanks!