Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Connecting Thread thread question.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/connecting-thread-thread-question-t65259.html)

retired2pa 09-17-2010 02:47 PM

I have never tried CT thread but I've read on this Board that a lot of you like it.

My question is...what thread would you recommend I try? Do you buy the cones?

I want to get away from all the lint that my Coats and Clark (from Joanns) leaves around my needle and bobbin case.

SherriB 09-17-2010 02:50 PM

I bought the smaller spools of thread. The large cones would be great if you have a cone holder. I love, love their thread!!!

nursie76 09-17-2010 02:53 PM

I know that most traditional quilters use only cotton thread, but I am the odd man out. When I first learned to quilt, I was told to use cotton thread. But when I started again and got my Bernina I asked the Mennonite ladies at the quilt shop and they recommended polyester for everything. I love Gutermann and Metler thread. I have used some cotton threads because they are variegated. It looked nice, but the lint was horrible. If you are trying to get away from the lint, check with your machine manufacturer and if it isn't contraindicated, try the polyester threads.

retired2pa 09-17-2010 06:16 PM

Nursie...contraindicated??? LOL. I could tell, without looking at your user name, that you were in the medical field :) I was once in nursing, too :)

I have tons of poly thread for machine embroidery! I read on here somewhere that poly isn't good for quilting but rayon is OK. I have that, too. I think I'll give it a try on a scrap sandwich and see how my machine "tolerates" it :)

Thanks.

littlehud 09-17-2010 06:33 PM

I love Connecting Thread thread. I just buy the smaller spools. They work great on my machine and don't leave much lint.

Joanie2 09-17-2010 06:33 PM

I have both the Star brand thread and the Connecting Threads brands. I find the CT thread to be smoother and it leaves less lint and it's also cheaper. I will use up my Star thread spools but will always go back to CT.

nursie76 09-17-2010 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by retired2pa
Nursie...contraindicated??? LOL. I could tell, without looking at your user name, that you were in the medical field :) I was once in nursing, too :)

I have tons of poly thread for machine embroidery! I read on here somewhere that poly isn't good for quilting but rayon is OK. I have that, too. I think I'll give it a try on a scrap sandwich and see how my machine "tolerates" it :)

Thanks.

Yeah, I guess the training shows, huh? :oops:

What I have been told, is that in the past, you were to use only cotton as the quilting material was cotton and if you used polyester sewing thread then it would be stronger than the fabric fibers and "cut" it. Now, I am told, the fabric is manufactured differently and that is not a concern. I also have mostly poly embroidery thread (and a little rayon). Although rayon has more shine to it, I am told that polyester holds up to repeated washing, and dryer heat. The polyester thread I use to piece is usually Gutermann Sew-All or Mettler - Metrosene.

Numa 09-17-2010 07:03 PM

I use the CT large cones and the small tubes. Love them. I have the cones for the basic white, beige, and black. I also use poly cones sometimes too. Poly embroidery thread is stronger and takes the wear much better than rayon.

BellaBoo 09-17-2010 07:25 PM

I have lots of CT cones and thread sets. It's the best thread value for the price.

nursie76 09-18-2010 05:59 AM

OH, and I need to specify, that the poly I use to piece is not the same as the poly embroidery thread. The embroidery thread is lighter weight. Just wanted to add that, so I didn't steer someone in the wrong direction.