Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Connecting Threads Essential Pro - Thoughts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/connecting-threads-essential-pro-thoughts-t254980.html)

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-09-2014 03:16 AM

Connecting Threads Essential Pro - Thoughts?

I asked this in another board I frequent but not too many piped up so I thought I'd ask here too! I am wondering if any of you who long arm use Connecting Threads Essential Pro? I have read that it is similar to Superior's So Fine, a thread that I really like - is that true? Do you have any issues with lint even though it is polyester? I haven't ordered from the company in about six years and I'm thinking about giving them another go! :) Thanks!

Dclutter64 10-09-2014 03:30 AM

My sister bought me a whole bunch of it when I made some quilts for her family. I like it. It sews like sew fine but more than 1/2 the cost. It is a low sheen thread. They just don't have many colors. I have used Isacord, Sew Fine, Bottom Line, King Tut, Rainbows, Glide and Essential Pro.

PaperPrincess 10-09-2014 04:06 AM

I like it. I use it both in the bobbin and the top.

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-09-2014 04:42 AM

Oh great, thank you! I too pretty much only sew with whatever I'm using in the top in the bobbin as well...unless it's metallic or sometimes monofilament. I appreciate the feedback!

feline fanatic 10-09-2014 04:57 AM

Guess I am odd man out. Tried a cone and didn't like. Used it up and was quite happy when it was all gone. It did run fine, I just didn't like the looks of it in the quilting. I am a Glide girl, love that stuff and pretty much use it exclusively as well as the magnaglide bobbins. I do use some specialty threads like Invisifil, Monofiliment (either Superior Monopoly or Filtec Essence) and I do have several cones of King Tut but not a big fan of quilting with any cotton thread due to lint. I also have a few cones of bottom line and so fine but my thread of choice is almost always Glide.

Sewnoma 10-09-2014 05:00 AM

I like it but I still have that nagging voice in my head that tells me to stick with cotton thread for quilts. So I use it, but not always - I tend to use it more on "utility" quilts and projects like tote bags. I do like it when I use it.

Onebyone 10-09-2014 06:08 AM

I use it for piecing. It's thin and very little lint. I don't fret over using poly thread on cotton fabric. That myth has been debunked for years. Cotton thread was all that was available economically for our great grands so that is what they used.

ohstr 10-09-2014 07:16 AM

I use it in my Avante 18 and it does a great job. When I find something that works well - I tend to stick with it. Great thread for a good price in my opinion.

Prism99 10-09-2014 09:35 AM

I tried it and it breaks easily in my machine. I believe it is 70wt thread, whereas Bottom Line is 60wt? At least, that's what I recall. Glide never breaks in my machine, so that it my go-to thread. How a polyester thread is manufactured has something to do with how easily it breaks, in addition to thread weight. My advice is to try out a single cone first, so you can make sure it is going to work on your setup, before investing in a bunch of it.

ckcowl 10-09-2014 09:55 AM

I've been using it for years, no problems. Lint is dependent on more than the thread, fabric top & backing and battings all contribute to how much lint you will get.