Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   connecting threads scrap sale - did anyone else go? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/connecting-threads-scrap-sale-did-anyone-else-go-t51542.html)

King's Daughter 06-26-2010 06:05 PM

Told my DH I doubted I would buy anything.
I was there 2 and a half hours.
They weighed my bag and it was 33 lbs.
Dumped it out on the floor and sorted through and got rid of some of it, then went and added more.
Weighed it again. 25 lbs.
He just laughed hysterically (I don't think he was crying...) when I got home and hauled that big bag upstairs.
Did get some nice pieces, one is 7 1/2 yards, another (the feature print from
Cheep Talk) is almost 5 yards, and that was after splitting it with another lady (we used my nail clippers to nip a notch in the selvage so we could tear it). Supposedly I have the equivalent of about 62 yards. Wish I had dumped it out on the floor and taken a picture of it before folding it up. It was fun, and I'd do it again! All the shoppers were nice (of course) as were the employees.

sharon b 06-26-2010 06:08 PM

Sounds like a blast :mrgreen: Any big plans for the new stuff ?

King's Daughter 06-26-2010 06:11 PM

Um...not really. Is that bad?
And I have an order from them on the way... all half price stuff fat quarter collections.
Plus...before going to the scrap sale, I went to my LQS with a 40% off coupon and bought a Fruitcake layer cake. Last year I fell in love with Figgy Pudding and made a D9P with a charm pack and some yardage, and the colors are very similar. My first layer cake! So this week alone I probably spent my entire year's fabric allowance.

ncsewer 06-26-2010 07:25 PM

Where is the store? I noticed you were in Columbus and I used to live there and go back to visit from time to time

fabric-holic 06-27-2010 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by King's Daughter
Dumped it out on the floor and sorted through and got rid of some of it, then went and added more.
He just laughed hysterically (I don't think he was crying...) when I got home and hauled that big bag upstairs.
Cheep Talk) is almost 5 yards, and that was after splitting it with another lady (we used my nail clippers to nip a notch in the selvage so we could tear it). Supposedly I have the equivalent of about 62 yards. Wish I had dumped it out on the floor and taken a picture of it before folding it up. It was fun, and I'd do it again! All the shoppers were nice (of course) as were the employees.

I'm so envious.....I live in Columbus but couldn't get to the sale.
I've never heard of them doing this before, have you?

Darlene 06-27-2010 03:06 AM

The sale was at a small airport on the southweat side of Columbus I couldn't make it either but they sent me two notices of the sale.

Dagny 06-27-2010 05:09 AM

I'm going to get on the mailing list right away, and if there is another scrap sale, I'll be there.

sweet 06-27-2010 05:28 AM

Good Job!!!

CarrieAnne 06-27-2010 05:39 AM

Sounds like you had fun!!!!!!!

King's Daughter 06-27-2010 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by fabric-holic

Originally Posted by King's Daughter

I'm so envious.....I live in Columbus but couldn't get to the sale.
I've never heard of them doing this before, have you?

This was the first time. Hope they do it again!
It was actually in their distribution center near a small airport, in a big warehouse, called Craft Americana (I think). They wouldn't cut fabric for you, but didn't seem to object to us splitting up the bigger pieces.
I got one piece that was 7-1/2 yards, and weighed it, and it weighed 3 pounds, so that piece cost me $15, which works out to $2/yd, which is what they said in the email.