Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Considering Quilting Vacation (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/considering-quilting-vacation-t185673.html)

Hemlock Tea 04-12-2012 07:11 AM

Susie, usually the cruises have a price for double occupancy, and and additional price if you want single occupancy. Also the cruise I looked at has set class times, and then you can spend the rest of the time doing what you want, including stoips at ports. I think the classroom is open to sew in if you want after the class times.

nhweaver, the cruises I've looked at provide the machines so you don't have to take yours. The retreat I looked at, you bring your own machine. I've never flown with a sewing machine before, but I would be driving if I go on the retreat.

It looks like I'll be going on the Moda cruise in January- I think I've talked my mom into going. She's freaked out by the idea of being on a boat, but I think I can drug her to get her on, and once she's on she'll be ok ;) We'll definitely have an inside cabin so no windows.

Raggiemom 04-12-2012 08:12 AM

The quilt tour company sounds really interesting. Will have to show their website to my husband!

BMP 04-12-2012 08:32 AM

When I go on a cruise the LAST thing I think about is quilting...there is just way too much to see and do especially on port days, by the time you get back onboard you just want dinner and relax. Sea days are full of activities that are fun and the last thing I want to do is be inside quilting !!! Sorry JMHO....
Our group rents a house on the lake that we like to go too for a weekend in the fall....

Peckish 04-12-2012 09:12 AM

I have a friend who recently went on a quilt cruise to Alaska. She loved it and had a blast! Her only regret was that some of the scheduled quilting activities conflicted with some of the scheduled cruise activities, so she was forced to choose.

Hemlock Tea 04-12-2012 09:39 AM

Spending as much time quilting as possible is my primary objective for this vacation, so I'm not worried about the cruise activities. If the classes were in the form of a retreat, I'd do that instead, but I can't find a retreat that's open enrollment and works in my schedule.

peaceandjoy 04-12-2012 01:46 PM

Wish I could say that I have been personally, but alas, that is not the case! A guild member and her sister went to Alaska on a cruise through www.sewmanyplaces.com. They had a fabulous trip, but said it would be a once in a lifetime experience (I imagine b/c of the cost).

I've gone to several retreats, and later this month will be traveling out of state to go to a quiltville.com 3-day workshop. I love going, but as they are quite intense with non-stop sewing, it's not exactly relaxing - I come home exhausted! The cruises would be the perfect solution - some sewing time, some relaxing time, some touring the ports!

sandybeach 04-12-2012 02:09 PM

You must be reading my mind. I have been thinking about the same thing. I found this on-line magazine that has a wealth of quilt trips; bus, train, ship. All you have to do is sign up and you can read the magazine free.
http://www.quiltposium.com/

My sister and I would love to take the New England/Canada cruise, but we live in California. So tack on a $800 round trip airfare and it gets too expensive.

sandybeach 04-12-2012 02:13 PM

Have you thought about joining a Quilt Guild? Our Guild has a retreat once or twice a year. You wouldn't even have to go to the meetings if you didn't want to. Just join and sign up for the retreats.

Hemlock Tea 04-12-2012 02:14 PM

peaceandjoy, I'd love to go to a quiltville retreat!

I would love to do an Alaskan or Hawaiian cruise, or one to/in Europe, but I'll need to save for a couple more years for those (or go on a serious fabric diet, lol), and I need a vacation ASAP!

Thanks for the additional sites for reasearch!

Hemlock Tea 04-12-2012 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by sandybeach (Post 5136088)
Have you thought about joining a Quilt Guild? Our Guild has a retreat once or twice a year. You wouldn't even have to go to the meetings if you didn't want to. Just join and sign up for the retreats.

I was thinking about joining the modern quilt guild here in Houston, but their meetings don't fit my schedule. I'll have to think about it, thanks for the suggestion!