Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Consolidating machines, need advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/consolidating-machines-need-advice-t279648.html)

lpepperl 06-16-2016 09:50 AM

Consolidating machines, need advice

I am considering selling my Janome Artistic SD quilting machine AND my Janome 8900. I want one machine that sews, machine quilts, pieces, and embroiders. Where do you ladies go to safely sell your machines?

ManiacQuilter2 06-16-2016 11:44 AM

I have never sold a sewing machine but I would suggest eBay. Too worried about listing anything on Craig's list. You might also ask you LQS and quilt guilds to let quilters know what you have for sale

Skyangel 06-16-2016 11:47 AM

There is a yahoo group, sewitsforsale, that I have used to both buy and sell.

mamagrande 06-16-2016 12:21 PM

I have bought and sold quilting machines on Craigslist...I find that people who are quilters/seamstress and very honest.. Anyway that has been my experience. Local quilt guild and quilt stores are a very good option.

jjs56 06-16-2016 12:32 PM

Check with the dealer where you will buy your new machine to see if they take trade-ins. May not get top price, but it's safe and hassle free.

Patricia Drew 06-16-2016 01:18 PM

I'm curious ... which machine do you think you will buy? From what I've read on QuiltingBoard, there is no one machine that does everything perfectly .... What are your thoughts?

Tothill 06-16-2016 01:35 PM

I just bought my HQ 16 via local online classifieds. Very happy transaction.

If online is intimidating for you, then I would ask at your local guilds if they would put the word out. I know my guild will announce such things at our meetings.

You could also ask if you can put up a notice in your LQS, Church notice boards, community notice boards etc.

bearisgray 06-17-2016 04:00 AM

I think you might be happier keeping at least two machines if you have the space for them.

From what I understand about embroidery machines, once you have some embroidery set up, you are committed to that project until it is done?

Rose Marie 06-17-2016 06:36 AM

I agree with bearisgray. I have a small Brother 4 in embroidery machine that is fine for up to a 6 in block. My sewing machine is a Viking Sapphire. So far Im happy with the small embroidery machine. Use it only for quilting. Since embroidery is so time consuming there is alot more wear on the machine. So a separate machine takes the wear off your sewing machine. Used the embroidery for a set of bear designs, mother goose designs, a nice round design, and a set of leaf designs for a table cover.

imsewnso 06-17-2016 09:05 AM

Trust me you do not want to get rid of all your machines.....if you embroider you also need one to use when it is "working" if not you will be unhappy with having to setup and take down over and over again. Ask me how I know. LOL Even if it is to do a quick repair job....it not practical to not have at least 2 machines.