Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Contemplating Flying Geese (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/contemplating-flying-geese-t303969.html)

ILoveToQuilt 04-02-2019 05:30 PM

I paper piece my flying geese. No cut off points and accurate every time.

For scrap quilts, I make 2.5" HST blocks. One side of HST is a light neutral, other side is color/print/etc. Lots of contrast and easy to make. Lots of different patterns for quilts: 4 blocks with the colored sides (or neutral sides) facing center = diamonds. Rows of HST with colors all in same place = vertical rows. Alternating rows, color on right, next row color on left = zigzag pattern.

Hope these suggestions help.

Z 04-03-2019 02:37 AM

Ricky Tim's Flying Geese

Check out Ricky's method of folding for flying geese on You Tube.

WMUTeach 04-03-2019 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Z (Post 8235121)

This was interesting and simple. Certainly would be fast but I am wondering about the multiple layers of fabric when you begin to join the geese together. Geese are on my radar because this week-end at retreat, I am making a quilt that is all geese. No Ricky Tim's method because my no waste geese are already cut and packed ready to go.:) Will try the RT method another time.

solstice3 04-03-2019 07:15 AM

I saw your post where you made some. I think that works!

lindsayfarm 04-03-2019 08:01 AM

Absolutely beautiful.

maviskw 04-03-2019 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Z (Post 8235121)

Was there supposed to be a link with this? I haven't seen it.

BoltandBobbin 04-03-2019 12:48 PM

My flying geese are usually more like lame ducks. Until I discovered that my machine has a quilting function on it that lines the needle up perfectly to use the right edge of my presser foot. The 1/4" foot is Not accurate with my machine's center needle position and was causing problems. Once I got an accurate 1/4" it made all the difference.

I have a discontinued Brother SQ Project Runway edition (I think it's the 9050). I've only had the machine for three years, so it's not like I had time to read the manual or anything. :rolleyes: :D

peaceandjoy 04-03-2019 03:53 PM

I don't have a problem making flying geese, but it depends on the pattern how I assemble them. Flip and stitch if I can make at least a 1" square from the cutaway. Latest method is the 4 @ a time, which is super efficient - a good thing bc I needed 456 for the latest. I actually ended up doing more than that, bc the book has an error in color placement. They do have a work around, but being a little OCD, I couldn't handle it. So I set aside the 216 I had with the wrong placement and redid them. Sooner or later, those little buggers (finish @ 1" x 3") will be used for something. Probably a border. Or possibly sides on stars?

I've also got and have used the Wing Clipper; it was required for a class. It does make perfect geese, but that is a real waste of fabric as you are intentionally making them over sized and trimming down.

For squaring FG, I highly recommend the Bloc Loc rulers. Pricey, but so helpful!

Teen 04-03-2019 06:10 PM

Paper piecing, for me, was the way to go for FG. I always seemed to avoid patterns with FG or I made them differently with HST to avoid them because they hardly ever were accurate.