Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Converting inches quilt patterns to cm quilt patterns-How? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/converting-inches-quilt-patterns-cm-quilt-patterns-how-t218473.html)

berryberry 04-07-2013 07:54 AM

Converting inches quilt patterns to cm quilt patterns-How?

We have a new person on the board who is a beginner. We have all been there, except this new person uses the metric system. All the quilt patterns I know use a 1/4 inch seam which converts to .635 cm. How do you measure that? So our metric system quilters, how do you do it?

QuiltE 04-07-2013 07:56 AM

I think many are "bilingual" when it comes to quilting talk and just go with the 1/4" measure.

AliKat 04-07-2013 09:25 AM

If she is determined there are several conversion sites on the net where you just plug in the standard measurement and then you get the metric conversion. It may be that where she is getting her fabric uses the metric system or maybe that is all she knows at present.

I don't know where to get metric quilting rulers. So, I agree with QuiltE.

YukonViv 04-07-2013 11:25 AM

We are metric in Canada, but other then buying by the metre my quilting friends and I work with inches, quarter inch seams, etc.

Our rulers are in inches and my sewing feet have the quarter inch mark as does the plate on my machine.

I'm used to it in my cross stitch life as the fabric is sold by its count, how many stitches per inch.

ghostrider 04-07-2013 11:48 AM

As long as the instructions, the tools, and the equipment are all based on the same unit, it doesn't matter if it's called centimeters, inches, or toothpicks. There's no need to convert anything. :)

busy fingers 04-07-2013 01:08 PM

Living in the Land of Oz we are also metric. However all the rulers that I buy are in imperial. I just work with the imperial measurements - of course for fabric I have to purchase in metric but I am never short. I just do a mental convert between the two to make sure that I have enough.

Tartan 04-07-2013 01:16 PM

Nope, I work in inches! The metric system came in too late for me.

dunster 04-07-2013 04:11 PM

All through school the teachers insisted that we learn the metric system because the US would be converting to it. Ha!

Anael 04-07-2013 05:15 PM

We're metric also but like the others I'm working with the imperial measurements too. It's too confusing having to convert everything. Some of the designs I own are in metric and I find it hard to do those :)

YukonViv 04-08-2013 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5984671)
As long as the instructions, the tools, and the equipment are all based on the same unit, it doesn't matter if it's called centimeters, inches, or toothpicks. There's no need to convert anything. :)

You are so right, I don't refer to my 1/8 measurements on my rulers, I call them nibs. No reason, just how I. Think of them, so when measuring and cutting I will be thinking to myself 2 and 5 nibs. (2 5/8)