Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Copying or creating (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/copying-creating-t284835.html)

Genden 12-30-2016 02:44 PM

Copying or creating

Are you less as a quilter if you use a pattern or copy a design you like? Is the ultimate goal in achieving quilter status to get to the point where you create original designs or does it matter?

patski 12-30-2016 02:48 PM

I do both, sometimes I start with a pattern but don't like something and I change it. I don't think it makes you less of a quilter if you use a pattern, a kit or whatever. It is for pleasure and lets you be as creative as you like. Happy New Year

Bree123 12-30-2016 02:49 PM

A quilter is someone who makes quilts. S/he could also be a designer/artist, but if you enjoy working with traditional designs or purchasing others' designs, do that. It only makes a difference if you want to enter a quilt in an "original design" or "artistic" category in a show.

quiltsRfun 12-30-2016 02:55 PM

For me the ultimate goal is to complete a quilt that I'm happy with. I consider myself a quilter even though I copy or use patterns from designers as inspiration. There was a time when some felt you weren't a quilter unless you did it by hand and possibly some still feel that way. I just do what I enjoy and don't bother about what others think.

luvspaper 12-30-2016 02:55 PM

No quilt judges here.... whatever works is equal in my eyes... there would be no quilt without the quilter regardless of create or copy

lynnie 12-30-2016 03:03 PM

i knew a fabric designer who copied others ideas, changed colors and took out or added what she wanted to do. she was still a designer. if you're looking to be called a quilt designer or a maker, I guess are 2 different things. But, I don't care. i just love pretty quilts.

suern3 12-30-2016 03:07 PM

I enjoy working with fabric and making items that my family enjoys and also donating for others to enjoy. I like the planning of a new quilt almost as much as making it, but I have no desire to design quilts or fabrics, nor do I care about competing with others. I think there is room for all levels of interest. So I guess I would say I'm a quilter because I do make quilts:)

Dolphyngyrl 12-30-2016 03:11 PM

If you make quilt your a quilter. Why complicate the details of what a quilter is

marge954 12-30-2016 03:12 PM

“There is no such thing as a new idea. It is impossible. We simply take a lot of old ideas and put them into a sort of mental kaleidoscope. We give them a turn and they make new and curious combinations. We keep on turning and making new combinations indefinitely; but they are the same old pieces of colored glass that have been in use through all the ages.” Mark Twain

cashs_mom 12-30-2016 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 (Post 7729318)
I enjoy working with fabric and making items that my family enjoys and also donating for others to enjoy. I like the planning of a new quilt almost as much as making it, but I have no desire to design quilts or fabrics, nor do I care about competing with others. I think there is room for all levels of interest. So I guess I would say I'm a quilter because I do make quilts:)

I'm with suern. I create for my own pleasure. If others like it, great. If they don't, no matter, I still do. And that's what is important to me. I heard one teacher say once "There's really nothing new under the sun so why worry about it?" This is pretty much the attitude I take. Which I find interesting because I can be a highly competitive person. But quilting/sewing is something I do just for me and because I like working with fabrics/colors/designs.