Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Copyright questions for patterns that use someone else's tools (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/copyright-questions-patterns-use-someone-elses-tools-t181869.html)

LucyInTheSky 03-06-2012 04:07 PM

Copyright questions for patterns that use someone else's tools

I saw a gal on here who is selling her (adorable) shamrock pattern for use with the Twister ruler. I made an American flag with the Twister, where the pattern is a give away for our Shop Hop next month (I work at a quilt shop), and one of the employees wanted to buy it (before I told her it's going to be a give away). That plus all the discussions lately about copyrighting got me wondering - can you make a pattern that uses another copyright tool, for example the Twister, and sell it without infringing on the Twister company's copyright? Obviously I know I couldn't use the Twister's wording for the ruler's insert, but otherwise, would that be okay? "Here's a pattern, here's the layout, use the Twister to cut it up, sew back together - ta da!" Or could the Twister people issue a cease and desist and/or sue? How does that fit into the copyright discussion?

IAmCatOwned 03-06-2012 04:44 PM

The Twister would only have a copyright on their pattern directions. You can make anything your heart desires with the tool so long as you acknowledge that brand name item.

LucyInTheSky 03-06-2012 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned (Post 5037277)
The Twister would only have a copyright on their pattern directions. You can make anything your heart desires with the tool so long as you acknowledge that brand name item.

Gotcha, thanks :)

Handcraftsbyjen 03-08-2012 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky (Post 5037161)
I saw a gal on here who is selling her (adorable) shamrock pattern for use with the Twister ruler. I made an American flag with the Twister, where the pattern is a give away for our Shop Hop next month (I work at a quilt shop), and one of the employees wanted to buy it (before I told her it's going to be a give away). That plus all the discussions lately about copyrighting got me wondering - can you make a pattern that uses another copyright tool, for example the Twister, and sell it without infringing on the Twister company's copyright? Obviously I know I couldn't use the Twister's wording for the ruler's insert, but otherwise, would that be okay? "Here's a pattern, here's the layout, use the Twister to cut it up, sew back together - ta da!" Or could the Twister people issue a cease and desist and/or sue? How does that fit into the copyright discussion?

I am the one with the Shamrock Twist pattern. Before I was able to copyright it I had to have permission from both CS Designs and Primitive Gatherings to include their products and techniques in my supply list.

Handcraftsbyjen 03-08-2012 11:35 AM

Also, be aware that The Garhering Room Quilt Shoppe in Legrange, KY has a copyright on a Twister flag...so make sure you aren't infringing on it. (There's has been out probably almost a year now.)

Handcraftsbyjen 03-08-2012 11:46 AM

The copyright takes just a few months and is $35 if you do it online, however, it's $50 if you mail it in.

MdmSew'n'Sew 03-09-2012 11:58 AM

If that were the case, the Twister folks would have been served a long time ago - I have an old book (well, probably at least 10 years old, not antique) called 'Square Dance' by Martha Thompson, where the prototype for the Twister is used to create a bunch of twister-style quilts. So the Twister ruler is not new, they just used someone else's tool design and are making a fortune - in the meantime, I'm still using the plastic template I made from the book and it works just fine.

GrannieAnnie 03-09-2012 01:35 PM

Dumb question? Do you fret over using a patented sewing machine to make your top? Whatever tool you are using is patented (items), not copyrighted (words).