Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   copyright? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/copyright-t224450.html)

bigsister63 06-25-2013 03:21 PM

Actually you can call the US Copyright office and ask them.

Lady Diana 06-26-2013 03:43 AM

Excuse me, why is she selling anything that cannot be used! Ridiculous. The embroidery cd is sold to use, not to look at. You purchased the right to use the design, so use it. Don't copy the cd to sell. No one is going to police your using the embroidery design in a quilt, purse, or clothing. Case closed.

BellaBoo 06-26-2013 05:14 AM

Every quilt cd I have has that same warning. I will give the cd to someone when I'm done with it but I don't destroy the pattern I printed out from it to make a quilt no more then I would destroy the quilt I made from the printed pattern.

Scissor Queen 06-26-2013 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 6142390)
Be aware that the information on the Tabberone website is merely one person's opinions and experiences. She is NOT an attorney, nor does she claim to be. She is simply an eBay seller who has been sued multiple times for copyright infringement and has made a name for herself by publicizing her experiences. Her information can be just as false or misleading as anyone else posting here.

I agree with dunster, contact the designer if you have any questions or doubts.

While she isn't an attorney, she has been to court and won. There are also numerous cites of various court cases and supreme court decisions on her website. It's not just opinion.

patchsamkim 06-26-2013 06:23 AM

If you are going to make a quilt, only for your personal use there probably will not be any problem. A problem could arise if you make a quilt, and then decide to enter it in a quilt show, where it could be photographed, and somehow, the designer of the cd recognizes the pattern if she would see a picture of the quilt. Even if has been altered, it could be a problem for you.
You may wish to contact the designer and ask to be sure.

bigsister63 06-28-2013 05:34 AM

[QUOTE=Bneighbor;6142288]www.tabberone.com/trademarks/pattern.shtml should take you to a website that will explained what copyright are and are not. What the owner/seller/buyer rights are."

OMG. I just checked out this site. What a nasty site! I really question any info given on this site due to how negative it is. These people sound like sore losers. Do not cross these people or you may find yourself blacked balled and listed on this site.

SemiSweet 06-28-2013 06:57 AM

I've wondered about this myself quite a few times. I make all my own patterns but I take ideas from other quilts I've seen before. The quilt that's currently on my bed was made by mixing two quilts that I found pictures of online and using the applique templates that I found in a quilting book that I own (bought in a second-hand store). I did all the math myself and decided how I wanted to include ideas that I found on those pictures, but I never claim that I came up with it all on my own.

Another thing to think about is that if you're making this for yourself or someone close to you, is it really going to get out there that you "stole" copyrighted material to create your quilt? Are there some "quilting police" out there that are going to confiscate your quilt? I don't think so. I would worry more if you wanted to sell the quilt later, or if you wanted to be in a national competition, but for personal use, you're probably fine.

Of course, this is all in my own opinion. I hope nobody here will turn me in to the quilting police! I love my cat quilt and I worked for hours and hours on it!

bakermom 06-28-2013 07:34 AM

Since when is it nasty to stand up for yourself and not back down to bullies?? That's what most of these most of these "restrictions" amount to-bullying. Just because they say it does not make it law.

Scissor Queen 06-28-2013 07:34 AM

[QUOTE=bigsister63;6148211]

Originally Posted by Bneighbor (Post 6142288)
www.tabberone.com/trademarks/pattern.shtml should take you to a website that will explained what copyright are and are not. What the owner/seller/buyer rights are."

OMG. I just checked out this site. What a nasty site! I really question any info given on this site due to how negative it is. These people sound like sore losers. Do not cross these people or you may find yourself blacked balled and listed on this site.

How cheerful and happy do you think you'd be if you'd been dragged into court for something you didn't do?

Scissor Queen 06-28-2013 07:35 AM

[QUOTE=bigsister63;6148211]

Originally Posted by Bneighbor (Post 6142288)
www.tabberone.com/trademarks/pattern.shtml should take you to a website that will explained what copyright are and are not. What the owner/seller/buyer rights are."

double posted