Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Corduroy anyone? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/corduroy-anyone-t255327.html)

QuiltedCritterLady 10-15-2014 10:18 AM

Corduroy anyone?

So, I woke up with an idea for a quilt in mind ... how cool is that? I have this idea to incorporate some bits of corduroy into a quilt. Have any of you used corduroy in a quilt? I need small pieces. Have any of you seen precut corduroy? I'm thinking a charm pack or perhaps 10" squares would be perfect. What do you think?

GrannieAnnie 10-15-2014 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltedCritterLady (Post 6929987)
So, I woke up with an idea for a quilt in mind ... how cool is that? I have this idea to incorporate some bits of corduroy into a quilt. Have any of you used corduroy in a quilt? I need small pieces. Have any of you seen precut corduroy? I'm thinking a charm pack or perhaps 10" squares would be perfect. What do you think?

I doubt you'll ever find precut corduroy. I love it, bu the cut edges shed.

MaryMo 10-15-2014 10:32 AM

Corduroy makes a heavy quilt. I've used it in quilts for dogs where I used 1/2" or larger seams ... and I made one rag quilt with corduroy but it didn't work out so well because the edges didn't ravel like cotton or denim. But give it a try; your idea may turn out better than my experience.

Sandygirl 10-15-2014 10:33 AM

You are "on trend" with using texture in quilts. check out this book.... "Uncommonly Corduroy" quilt / project book. There are some very nice 21Wale corduroy in the marketplace, IF you can find it. Windham has some as well as Camelot Cottons. Great colors, lightweight, soft. I have seen it.
sandy

crafty pat 10-15-2014 11:06 AM

My DM did one, a crazy quilt. It was heavy but beautiful.

quilts4charity 10-15-2014 11:15 AM

I've used corduroy. I serged the edges of it first, was very soft and nice I thought.

nativetexan 10-15-2014 11:24 AM

I had some corduroy and cut it in large squares. ten inches I think. then cut some cotton squares and put into a rag quilt. looked great!

Macra 10-15-2014 11:28 AM

I used it for a floor quilt when my sons were little. I used the scraps from my husband and the boys trousers. Mostly blues.
What a mess making it though :rolleyes: It's worse than velvet, and even zigzagging (serger ? who had a serger thirty years ago ??) all the raw edges only kept it from ravelling back, not from losing all the cut pile bits, that shed over everything. I had to constantly de-oose the trap under the feed dogs on my sewing machine.

The end result was very, very good though :D It was heavy, but warm (never mind the floor, the boys claimed it as a quilt for snuggling up under on the sofa) soft and very comfortable.

It washed and tumbled dried very well too. Forget fancy quilting; all I could manage to get through it was plain in the ditch of the cords. I had backed it with a old woollen blanket (pure new wool though, so it didn't shrink when washed) and a layer of blue flannel sheeting.

I used some green pieces for Christmas ornaments. Best advice is to look for fine wale corduroy; I can buy it in four different thicknesses of the wales in our local fabric shop. The fine stuff works really well for the ornaments. It gives a good texture to pieces.

M

SueSew 10-15-2014 11:47 AM

I used it in my first quilt - a baby quilt with 4" pieces sewn into 4-patch blocks - one piece a heavy velveteen wide-wale corduroy, one piece poly-something satin that has fuzzy fake flannel on the back, one piece poly fleecey blanket stuff and one regular cotton. They were surrounded by big 3-part sashings with nine-patches at the corners.
I didn't know any better!!!
But it worked out fine and wasn't too difficult to work with compared to the satin. :)

bearisgray 10-15-2014 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew (Post 6930074)
I used it in my first quilt - a baby quilt with 4" pieces sewn into 4-patch blocks - one piece a heavy velveteen wide-wale corduroy, one piece poly-something satin that has fuzzy fake flannel on the back, one piece poly fleecey blanket stuff and one regular cotton. They were surrounded by big 3-part sashings with nine-patches at the corners.
I didn't know any better!!!
But it worked out fine and wasn't too difficult to work with compared to the satin. :)

Sometimes one gets some great results when one does not know any better! :-)