Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Corduroy in quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/corduroy-quilts-t235519.html)

yngldy 11-26-2013 11:05 AM

I have used it before a few times. I use the pinwale corduroy. Wash it to make sure the colors do not run, (mine did,but it was older fabric). I soaked it overnight in vinegar which also softened it quite a bit. I used it for sashing and borders.

fabric lover 11-26-2013 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love corduroy too and made a top with just corduroy and tief it to a fleeceblanket, very nice and warm :-)

QuiltE 11-26-2013 04:30 PM

LavenderBlue ... there is no reason why you cannot use the corduroy, if that's what you want in your quilt. There are a lot of different types of corduroy out there. Just know what you are working with. Some are a nicer quality than others, and some will wash far nicer too. Another factor is whether it is a pure cotton corduroy or a blend. Also, is it s stretch corduroy (usually only in one direction). All of these you can determine with what you have in hand, and decide whether it is what you want for the end product.

I'm trying to find corduroy right now, for a quilt where I want some textures.
I've discovered that corduroy is few and far between ... and the few I have found are a very cheap, with little of the velvet feel to them. Keeping on looking!

Mariposa 11-26-2013 04:35 PM

I like to use corduroy with denim. Use a 1/2" seam allowance too. I do simple patterns with squares and/or rectangles.
Makes for a nice addition to the denim~

LavenderBlue 11-26-2013 04:37 PM

The corduroy I have has a very low nap and feel, but still appealing.

Quilting Grandma 11-26-2013 04:52 PM

I made my SIL a corduroy quilt. I made the blocks 6x8" I off set them, made the seams 1/2". Since I had no seams to match, it didn't seem too bulky. He loves it. Good luck, have fun.

Tumdarra 11-26-2013 06:58 PM

I have made 2 denim quilts and used corduroy in both of them, I like the difference in texture it gives. I try and get both wide and thin for more variation. I love the effect

cathyvv 11-26-2013 07:56 PM

Yes, I have! I got some pinwhale elephant print corduroy and a co-ordinate at WM on sale - very low price! My daughter loves elephants, so I used the width of fabric by 1.5 yards of elephants for the center and put a 6" border on it with the coordinate. The back was "regular" cotton, creamy with nearly invisible green leaves in it, bordered with a stripe. My daughter - now 39 - loves it.

I always pre-wash and dry my fabrics, so I just took the corduroys out of the dryer, evened it up, and sewed the border and center together. No ironing and it worked out fine.

cathyvv 11-26-2013 07:59 PM

Thanks for the hint about vinegar softening corduroy. I have a very stiff corduroy that i LOVE, but haven't used because it is so stiff.

justflyingin 11-27-2013 05:26 AM

Yes, I have also. I made one with 8" squares of various corduroys and put them on point. I used poly batting. it is a wonderfully warm quilt.