Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Corduroy in quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/corduroy-quilts-t62595.html)

SherriB 09-01-2010 03:49 PM

I have some corduroy just sitting around and thought about using it in a quilt for some of the men in my life (DH, SIL,BIL or DGS). I normally use starch on all my fabric. Can you use starch on corduroy? And what would be a good quilt to use corduroy with?

raptureready 09-01-2010 03:54 PM

Usually corduroy is heavy enough that it doesn't need to be starched but if you do, starch it and press it from the backside. An iron can really mess up the wale.

nativetexan 09-01-2010 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
.I just made a rag quilt with corduroy and cotton fabric.
it was thin and skinny wale (think that's what the lines are called).the red spotted is the corduroy.
and i did add 80/20 cotton batting inside each square

mom-6 09-01-2010 05:45 PM

I am not one to use starch, so can't tell you about that part, but just off hand I would think it would neither be necessary nor a very good idea.

I can tell you what NOT to do!
1) Don't try to do anything that requires small or skinny (2-1/2" or less) pieces if it is a wider wale corduroy.
2) Also be VERY careful mixing different wale widths of corduroy...can be done, but very carefully.
3) Don't try for a scant 1/4" seam...make it at least 3/8" to 1/2".
4) Don't try to do a log cabin quilt out of corduroy...even if the center square is 8" and the strips are 2-1/2" inches!

I'm taking what I've done of it apart and keeping the 8" squares to maybe do a D9P.

Sadiemae 09-01-2010 09:22 PM

I wouldn't starch corduroy.

earthwalker 09-01-2010 09:26 PM

Definitely always iron from the back...this applies to velvets as well. Nativetexan I love your quilt.

anniec55 09-01-2010 09:34 PM

I had once upon a time, a OLD crazy quilt that was made with corduroys (pinks, browns, tans, and grays) and a flannel backing.... I loved it!!! it had some personality all it's own, I wasn't the only one who liked it cause it disappeared :-( not something you would misplace, especially when you use it and love it!!! life lessons.

np3 09-01-2010 09:57 PM

I would not use starch on it, and make sure you iron it from the back!

ckcowl 09-02-2010 01:24 AM

if you need a little pressing help with your corduroy just mist with water instead of starch it will press nicely, if you have a need to starch use a light mist of starch on the wrong side of the fabric and let it dry(soak in) before pressing. if your corduroy has a (thick) wale to it it is a good idea to fold a terry towel and place that down then your corduroy on the towel for pressing, this protects the wale and is also the best way to press velvets if you decide to start including some of them in your quilts too :)

SherriB 09-02-2010 01:46 AM

Thanks for all the tips! I hadn't thought about ironing it from the back.