Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Corduroy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/corduroy-t228493.html)

adnil458 08-22-2013 04:47 AM

Corduroy

Has anyone used corduroy for backing? Do you leave out batting? Any other tips?

Silver Needle 08-22-2013 05:37 AM

I did it with my APQS Millenium. It's pretty stretchy so you have to be careful of wrinkles. Also if its pieced use 1/2 to 3/4" seams and press them open. It's easier to handle if a seam goes horizontal instead of vertical. You also want to be sure the nap all goes the same direction. The one I did was full sized. It was a memory quilt someone else had made and tied. The client wasn't happy with it tied so we took it all apart and I quilted it using a light but firm batting. It was a memory quilt so would not have hard use. I would not recommend it if the quilt will be used a lot.

tessagin 08-22-2013 05:44 AM

have never liked corduroy. If you wore it, noisy. People could hear you coming. never been crazy about how it feels.

pocoellie 08-22-2013 05:47 AM

I haven't used it for backing, but have used it for an all corduroy quilt. I used a very light poly batting and muslin on the back. My tips would be use a wider seam allowance and baste it before doing the actual stitching. I'm sure that you'll get other recommendations.

adnil458 08-22-2013 06:20 AM

awesome tips so far....keep them coming!!!!

fred singer 08-22-2013 06:25 AM

i'ved it and I didn't have any problems, washed realy nice

carmanmarie 08-22-2013 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by adnil458 (Post 6248611)

I have four quilts that has pinwale backing, I made them 20 yrs ago. So soft & snugly. I think even a wider wale will soften maybe wash a few times before using.

bearisgray 08-22-2013 10:11 AM

I would handle corduroy like I would treat denim.

It is awesome for a car quilt!

I gave a way a big box full of corduroy lasts year and now I'm wishing I had some of it to use with my denim rag quilts!

mom-6 08-22-2013 11:18 AM

A friend asked me to make a quilt using corduroy she provided. All different colors, wale widths, degrees of stretch or not.
I was very new to quilting at the time and did not use wide enough seams, so be very sure to do wider seams! I would also recommend not trying to use narrow strips unless you cut them extra wide to accommodate the wider seams.
For Jenny's quilt I ended up doing 8" squares on both front and back and tying with ribbon in the corners of each block. No batting. Very heavy, but exactly what she wanted for camping. Really colorful as well as soft and cuddly. She loves it and named it "blankelroy"!
Oh and where my seams started coming out another friend zigzagged over them thru both thicknesses.

GrannieAnnie 08-22-2013 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by adnil458 (Post 6248611)

Yes, love it. Soft and slightly fuzzy and warm feeling. Use it a lot on the rag blankets.
I'd say the batting would depend on the future use. Floor quilt for a kid--batting for cushion. YES! Cool weather quilt for a bed? YES!
A throw for the couch, maybe not.