Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   cost effectivness VS being Lazy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cost-effectivness-vs-being-lazy-t51802.html)

sewcrazygirl 06-28-2010 01:40 PM

Ok i realized that i will quilt more if the pieces are cut for me. I am doing a downy quilt and I whipped thru it last night since all the pieces were cute.

Should I buy quilt kits with cut pieces or should I invest in an accuquilt Go system?

how much do quilt kits costs and do they sell them pre cut?

Holice 06-28-2010 01:50 PM

it would depend on how much cutting you usually do. you might check out Keepsake Quilts. They have many shapes cut. However, they may not be the colors and type you need but worth checking out. Some really like the acucut system so guess it depends on how much you would use it.

sewcrazygirl 06-28-2010 02:06 PM

your right, maybe I will save up for the cutting system. I am lazy huh? LOL I just hate cutting :(

katier825 06-28-2010 02:26 PM

I do my cutting in spurts. I make up my own "kits" by cutting the fabric and putting it, along with the pattern in a large ziploc bag. I like my fabric choices better and I always have something cut that I can sew when I have time. During Tropical Storm Fay, I was able to cut out a queen size quilt. Might as well, since I lost the power frequently during the day. I've got a couple "kits" ready and will be doing a couple of more soon.

I don't have space for any more gadgets, but that cutter system does look intriguing to me. :)

ToucanSam 06-28-2010 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
your right, maybe I will save up for the cutting system. I am lazy huh? LOL I just hate cutting :(

Cutting gets me pretty burned out too. Sometimes I like doing it, but for the most part, I'd rather have it done for me. :)

pocoellie 06-28-2010 02:31 PM

I personally prefer picking out my own fabric, kits seem to be expensive to me, because someone has to be paid to cut that fabric, plus you don't get to choose your fabrics. My opinion.

debbieumphress 06-28-2010 02:36 PM

I have bought kits with fabric when I find a sale like 50% off or buy one get one 50%, If it's not on sale they are usually high. But then I figure how much I would spend to buy all the fabric needed and buying it on sale makes the difference worth it. Not precuts though. I feel like I cheat when I buy a kit. LOL.

cjomomma 06-28-2010 02:42 PM

I love to cut the fabrics myself. Especially sense I got some templets, I just hate the washing, startching and ironing.

littlehud 06-28-2010 03:08 PM

I love quilt kits. Most are not cut out for me but the fabric is right there and ready for me.

mlaceruby 06-28-2010 03:16 PM

I purchased and accucut studio for the same reason.
I hated the cutting part.
but now it is my favorite part!
stacking all those cut triangles and squares is wonderful!
and it is actually easier to cut 3 quilts at a time than it is to cut 1!
when everyone at a local quilt show saw my kits they encouraged me to sell them.
which is really fun because I get to touch all the fabric!