Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cotton batting Never again! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cotton-batting-never-again-t290296.html)

Onebyone 08-08-2017 01:34 PM

Cotton batting Never again!

I had a roll of Hobbs cotton batting with scrim I thought I'd use. Ugh, I use adhesive spray and it is awful on cotton batting. It does great on Hobbs 80/20 batting so I didn't think there would be a difference. Those that have tried spray basting and had a big mess with wrinkles and puckers it was probably because of the batting. I've never had this much trouble with spray basting before and couldn't figure out why so many did. If spray basting was used on this type of batting no wonder! I'm almost to the point of taking out the quilting I've done and toss the batting.

cashs_mom 08-08-2017 01:51 PM

I just spray basted a king size quilt using Warm and Natural and 505. I had no problems at all. In fact, I had some health stuff going on and didn't get to finish the quilting for almost a month after I spray basted it and it was still firmly in place.

indycat32 08-08-2017 02:13 PM

I use Quilter's dream cotton and spray baste and have never had a problem.

Faintly Artistic 08-08-2017 02:14 PM

Maybe the scrim caused the issue?

Prism99 08-08-2017 02:25 PM

I have spray basted cotton batting with no problems. However, there was one time I ended up with a mess. That was when I forgot to use the technique that has you lay out the sandwich first, then pull back the top (or backing) halfway before spraying. I had sprayed the entire backing, then tried to lay the batting on top. Disaster! I did finally manage to work it out, but it took a lot of time and energy.

There are different ways to spray baste, so I am wondering if the technique you used was not suitable for the cotton batting with scrim (which is considerably heavier and harder to manage -- particularly if you are using a hanging technique -- than Hobbs 80/20).

Edit: I tried hanging for spray basting but found the weight was more than my arms liked to handle, especially since I like to make large quilts. It's better for me to lay the sandwich out flat.

MadQuilter 08-08-2017 02:41 PM

I just had a similar experience with Fairfield Polyester batting. Never again!

QuiltnNan 08-08-2017 03:09 PM

i spray baste prism's way and it works best that way

SusieQOH 08-08-2017 03:21 PM

Sorry for your ordeal :(

Onebyone 08-08-2017 03:26 PM

I have been spray or glue basting for years. Never had this much of a problem with batting. I noticed the backing and quilt top were sticking to the batting before I even sprayed it. Maybe too much static? I did put it in the dryer first with no dryer sheet. I think that may have answered my question.

Jingle 08-08-2017 05:44 PM

I haven't used spray basting, just large safety pins. This works for me. I mostly use hi-loft polyester batting.