Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cotton fabric costs are going up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cotton-fabric-costs-going-up-t44046.html)

Katrine 04-27-2010 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
Bad news! We have to pay a lot more money here in Europe for our fabrics... for a high quality one about 16 or 17 Euros per meter, this is about 20$ per yard. I'm glad my stash is filled with material for the next 25 years I think.

France is worse - in a quilt shop here, quality fabrics are between 24-26 Euros - about $31 to $34 currently. Most online prices around 18 Euros.
All other supplies - IF you can find them - are proportionately as expensive.
We tend to buy from UK online.

QBeth 04-27-2010 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
...The prices for some of the notions, books, etc. I"ve purchased in the past have gone up soooooo much I can't understand how individuals just getting into this craft can afford it all. I'm just glad I purchased when I did, its made a huge difference on my pocketbook. Can't imagine just starting out in this!!

Tonight is the first meeting of a group of women at work who've asked me to teach them quilting or, as I say, teach them the little bit I do know. :) Their timing was rather good because the last few weeks there have been tremendous sales at Joann's.

I put together a basic list of supplies (mat, ruler, rotary cutter, notions, some fat quarters, etc.) and, using 40% as the discount, it came out to about $125 which turned into a bit less than that due to the 50% sales going on. If you can get the more expensive basic items on sale, it's not too bad getting started. I figure that what they bought will give them some idea if they'll like this hobby (how can't they like it?!) and, if they don't like it, most of it can be used for something else (e.g., rotary cutter to cut wallpaper).

Hope it goes well tonight! They all went out and bought new machines (not included in the $125 quoted above) so I'm determined to live up to their expectations. Should be fun! I'll let you know.

sewcrafty 04-27-2010 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
...The prices for some of the notions, books, etc. I"ve purchased in the past have gone up soooooo much I can't understand how individuals just getting into this craft can afford it all. I'm just glad I purchased when I did, its made a huge difference on my pocketbook. Can't imagine just starting out in this!!

Tonight is the first meeting of a group of women at work who've asked me to teach them quilting or, as I say, teach them the little bit I do know. :) Their timing was rather good because the last few weeks there have been tremendous sales at Joann's.

I put together a basic list of supplies (mat, ruler, rotary cutter, notions, some fat quarters, etc.) and, using 40% as the discount, it came out to about $125 which turned into a bit less than that due to the 50% sales going on. If you can get the more expensive basic items on sale, it's not too bad getting started. I figure that what they bought will give them some idea if they'll like this hobby (how can't they like it?!) and, if they don't like it, most of it can be used for something else (e.g., rotary cutter to cut wallpaper).

Hope it goes well tonight! They all went out and bought new machines (not included in the $125 quoted above) so I'm determined to live up to their expectations. Should be fun! I'll let you know.

Good Luck and have fun!!!

amandasgramma 04-27-2010 07:36 AM

PRAYING that it's just a "scare tactic"....Things may change in November when the elections occur. I believe many scare mongers are saying prices are going up because they're anticipating paying more taxes for the health plan. Ironically, the manager of our local grocery store said the price of food will go up immediatly....he had it from the horses mouth. Well......the plan passed and his ad today has milk at the all time cheapest we've seen in 5 yrs!!!!!!!!!!

Joan 04-27-2010 07:42 AM

That's good news to me. It helps me to rationalize shopping even more intensively for more fabric. I gotta' get it before it's too expensive.

You've got the word now---shop until you drop!

CraftsByRobin 04-27-2010 08:08 AM

Have fun ... I wish I could join you :D

mamaw 04-27-2010 08:45 AM

Am not surprised!!!! The groceries are getting rediculous and gas is back up there.
I remember in school (a long time ago lol) talking about predictions that someday American would be the land of the "rich"....as only they would survive; and it is definitely headed in that direction. So sad!!

amma 04-27-2010 08:56 AM

OH NO :shock:
Well...we quilters have always been a very "creative" group...we will always find ways to economize so we can continue to make quilts, and reycyle as previously mentioned :wink: :D:D:D

Boston1954 04-27-2010 09:07 AM

I guess I should do some substantial buying this year.

BellaBoo 04-27-2010 09:19 AM

I do a reality check every so often when I'm tempted to buy an new quilting product. All I use 99% of the time is a straight stitch machine, a rotary cutter, a ruler, needles, thimble, and a pair of scissors to make a quilt. The rest is just gravy. As long as I have ample supply of my basics that is the most important.