Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cotton knit sheet for backing ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cotton-knit-sheet-backing-t270426.html)

tranum 09-26-2015 07:16 PM

Cotton knit sheet for backing ?

Can a cotton knit sheet be used as a quilt backing ? I have one with sock monkeys that would be really cute for a child but I wonder if it will be a stretchy mess.

Jeanne S 09-26-2015 08:18 PM

Never tried that so I am guessing, but seems like stretching would be a big problem, similar to t-shirt quilts. Perhaps if you used a stabilizer, it would make it more workable. I think I would cut into the sheet and do a small trial piece first. Then if it was manageable, go on to your quilt with it.

cathyvv 09-26-2015 08:29 PM

You might be able to use it as a backing if you quilt it on a frame, but i just don't know. I did use a piece of cotton jersey (meant for apparel) as a backing for a quilt, but quilted it on a frame. It came out very well.

But a jersey sheet stretches so much more than the apparel jersey did, that I won't even hazard a guess about how well it will work, even on a frame.

sewingitalltogether 09-27-2015 02:34 AM

Save you knit fabric for something else. All the work that goes into making a beautiful quilt deserves a nice cotton backing. I have a fellow quilter that ruins her quilts by not putting a nice backing on.

LilaKay 09-27-2015 02:54 AM

I use Minkee on the back of baby quilts. It's very stretchy but I quilt the baby quilts on my DM without any problems. I spray baste and pin. But I agree with sewingitalltogether, don't ruin a beautiful quilt with a cheap backing.

ManiacQuilter2 09-27-2015 06:44 AM

Knit is stretchy so I wouldn't use it.

pocoellie 09-27-2015 06:57 AM

I've used polar fleece as backs on a couple of quilts and didn't really have any problems and I quilted on my DSM not a long arm.

Buckeye Rose 09-27-2015 12:16 PM

I think it could work, but will take a bit more preparation than normal. I believe you will need to use a spray baste to keep every inch stuck to the batting while you quilt.....and be ready to do more quilting than normal as any areas bigger than your fist will sag/stretch without quilting. I have knit sheets on my bed and they do stretch, but add some extra warmth in the winter. It is your quilt, so don't let someone else tell you that your quilt will be ruined with a knit backing!

Cari-in-Oly 09-27-2015 12:35 PM

I think if I were going to use a knit sheet for backing I would spray baste AND pin baste and quilt from the back(have the back facing up) using an all over close quilting design. Sometimes I quilt from the back any way if I'm doing an all over design and I don't want the piecing to distract me.

Cari

junegerbracht 09-28-2015 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie (Post 7329146)
I've used polar fleece as backs on a couple of quilts and didn't really have any problems and I quilted on my DSM not a long arm.

I have thought about doing this. Did you use batting as well? Thanks.