Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cotton prices expected to double (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cotton-prices-expected-double-t65131.html)

newfiegirl 09-18-2010 04:03 AM

I read 15%, but you can bet that the commodity market will top that. I have 7 yards of a dark blue rose which I was about to give away, (isn't my particular color and don't know why I bought it) but I think I will just keep it and find a use for it. Time to use my JoAnns coupons good for a one cut of fabricl (no size limit)) especially for background fabrics.

candi 09-18-2010 04:08 AM

Oh no! My whole stash fits in one (rather large) container! I will definitely run out in less than a year! I guess I need to go fabric shopping!

sjhughson 09-18-2010 04:27 AM

This is such sad news, but I have not put foot in a LQS in years around here. When I'm at a show or on a trip (Seattle) I do shop some LQS's. I made a resolution this year to use only from my stash. I've been pretty good and only bought some sales on-line about 3 times. It's more of a frabic fix than a gotta have. It's gotten pretty fun searching for fabric ~$3/yd. I don't buy it if I dont like it though. That eliminates about 1/2 the offerings in the clearance category. 8-)

nantucketsue 09-18-2010 04:50 AM

What happens when the demand goes down because the price is too high? In the meantime, we will all have to use up our stash fabrics and recycle old clothes. I have already started hoarding. Maybe these will become the "utility" quilts of our generation. Personally, I do not think our quilters' cottons are by any means cheap, it is the clothing market that will suffer the most.

hospicenurse 09-18-2010 05:47 AM

I think this is a conspiracy.....to get us away from our passion and go back to serving "man" HA!!...away with cotton, away with coffee, away with chocolate??......murder on the horizon!!

Jan in VA 09-18-2010 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
On my way to this board this evening, I scanned the headlines at MSN.com and saw an article about cotton prices on the rise due to low supplies and high demand. Not good news for any of us.

Well, many of us have said that we could live to be 115 before we ever used up our stash. :?

Reminiscing about the days when I started quilting with LQS fabric and was paying "highway robbery" prices of $4 a yard.......Sigh.

One decade ago when I closed my shop in Dallas TX most of our highest prices were in the $8.25 range. Double sigh.

Now I'm in sticker shock when I upend a bolt at the LQS and see $10+ written on it. Thank God for stash!

Jan in VA

Norene B 09-18-2010 06:30 AM

I bought a bunch of fabric panels and fabric on a rummage sale yesterday. Very reasonable prices. Had 2 grocery sacks full.

2ursula 09-18-2010 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready

Originally Posted by tcnmom
When is the price increase coming?

It's trickling in now. A lot of Hancocks fabric is now $11 and up.

You know how quilts can be dated due to some of the circumstances going on in the world, certain fabrics/colors weren't available during some wars, etc.? Well we as quilters may have to shift away from the 100% and become really creative in our fabric choices. A hundred or two hundred years down the road Quiltologists will look at the quilts of 2012 and say, "We can tell this was quilted between 2010 and 2015 because there was a cotton shortage which caused prices to skyrocket."
But as a farmer's daughter I can tell you this: If the prices of cotton skyrocket the farmers will plant more of it.

The only Hancock store or fabric store left near me (in mid-town Atlanta, GA with more than 4 Million people!) not only increased prices, they try to sell their old, old, old stocks for hugely inflated prices ($9.00 for material that's not fit for anything but maybe a night gown for a color-blind person!)

You may be happy to know that the store is empty and so is the Michael's craft store next door. Obviously, I am not the only person angry over the rip-off.

People are smart, smarter than the store managers. (I like seeing people reacting smartly to the abusive practices, I like it a lot!)

I bought 1/2 a yard of an accent material on sale because I needed exactly that amount of that fabric. I did not browse.

It's a good thing I have built my stash. Right now I will get a few more smaller needed items online and on sale. That's going to be it for many years.

People will charge what the market will bear.
Let's not bear it.

bmkaz 09-18-2010 07:48 AM

As a quilter and a wife to a cotton farmer, all the costs incidental to growing cotton have increased dramatically over the past few years, while the price per pound we have received for our cotton is still very low. I hate paying $9.50 per yard for cotton fabric or $34.95 for a Moda layer cake that says "made in Korea".

nantucketsue 09-18-2010 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by bmkaz
As a quilter and a wife to a cotton farmer, all the costs incidental to growing cotton have increased dramatically over the past few years, while the price per pound we have received for our cotton is still very low. I hate paying $9.50 per yard for cotton fabric or $34.95 for a Moda layer cake that says "made in Korea".

Perhaps we should all bombard the fabric makers and insist on labelling where the cotton is made. This can easily be done along the selvedge.