Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   cotton prices (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cotton-prices-t84619.html)

owie 12-22-2010 05:48 PM

Do you really think that the prices of fabric would go down if there was a fantastic year for cotton. I am not trying to be a smart allec or be synical. I am just wondering what you all think. It seems like when prices go up they very seldom go down. Like the price of gas and food. I guess along with the price increase in fabric will come the cost increase of clothing. Just wondering what you all are thinking.

Sadiemae 12-22-2010 06:00 PM

I don't expect the prices to go back down, but who knows.

amandasgramma 12-22-2010 06:03 PM

I've been waiting for the price of gas to go down for 40 yrs.............................no, I don't think cotton prices will go down either.

gale 12-22-2010 06:21 PM

They'll go down for the farmers. Usually the processors and the manufacturers are the ones who make the $$ when the cost goes down but the price stays high.

patchsamkim 12-22-2010 06:58 PM

Doubt very much that cotton prices will come back down...best to just hope that prices stay stable for awhile.
I remember the first time I paid over $5.00 a yard for fabric and thought how much that seemed at the time. Seems they stayed $8.00-$8.50 for a long time. I still haven't paid over $10.00 and hope not to...usually wait to buy fabric on sale...and have a large stash to work with.

amma 12-22-2010 07:02 PM

When oil skyrocketed a couple of years ago, and groceries and other goods increased dramatically due to shipping costs... they never went back down, when the oil prices dropped :wink:

omak 12-22-2010 07:47 PM

If capitalism were allowed to function in our nation, the free market would do exactly what you suggest: Big supply? Lower prices ... Short supply, higher prices ... in short, what the market will bear.
One can only pray that sanity returns to America <wave>

Maride 12-22-2010 07:52 PM

Gas prices slightly come down, but related services like taxis and ferries remind up.

Linda71 12-22-2010 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by patchsamkim
Doubt very much that cotton prices will come back down...best to just hope that prices stay stable for awhile.
I remember the first time I paid over $5.00 a yard for fabric and thought how much that seemed at the time. Seems they stayed $8.00-$8.50 for a long time. I still haven't paid over $10.00 and hope not to...usually wait to buy fabric on sale...and have a large stash to work with.

The price on the farm seldom if ever goes up. In Canada we are paying $15 to $22 a meter for what you pay $10 for. The Gutterman 26 thread box sells for over $50 here. If notions go on sale at Farbicland(the friendly neighborhood store) it only applies to anything that is 12.98 and under. That's why we cross border shop when we can. I am going to start getting fabric online. Loaded up on notions on a shopping trip to Great Falls.

Aquarius 12-22-2010 08:05 PM

I read on the internet just a few days ago that the price of cotton was going up because of a bad year for the cotton industry and higher prices for labor. I hope it's not true, but that's what the internet said.