Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cotton seeds in batting stained quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cotton-seeds-batting-stained-quilt-t293886.html)

Faintly Artistic 01-06-2018 06:37 PM

Cotton seeds in batting stained quilt

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen...i made a hand embroidered, hand quilted Dresden pillow several months ago and used natural cotton batting. Apparently it had some pieces of seed stuck in the batting that are now staining my piece! I have tried several stain removers, but the stains will not come out. I'm bummed because I spent a lot of hours on this piece and was going to sell it until I discovered the stains...i may be able to add a few embroidered flowers over the spots. I've tried Carbona, Grandma's secret, and 2 or 3 other stain removers, but nothing has worked. I like cotton batting, but will only be buying white from now on and checking for seed pieces...

Maggie_Sue 01-06-2018 06:59 PM

I have only used pillow forms so I am no help. Hope you can rectify this situation!!!

Faintly Artistic 01-06-2018 07:05 PM

The batting was in the pillow top because I quilted it. It takes a pillow form, but there wasn't one in it, had it folded and in my closet...you can see the cotton seeds in it when it's wet...

Teen 01-06-2018 07:47 PM

Oh no....that's horrible to hear. My DH grandmother passed down her stain remover method. Dab some regular dishwashing soap (not gobs...just enough to cover stain area) on the stain and let absorb for about 10 minutes, using a small brush (I used a toothbrush I keep for this purpose), gently brush over stain working soap into fibers...then rinse with cold water. If dark stain...you may need to do this a couple of times. Good luck..

JustAbitCrazy 01-06-2018 10:30 PM

That's awful. I think your idea of embroidered flowers scattered over it wherever stains may appear is a better solution than taking it apart, changing the batting, requilting and reassembling it. I have heard of this happening before, but I don't recall learning of any solution.

quilterpurpledog 01-07-2018 03:35 AM

That is a situation that I have never heard of before. I am sorry that you had that experience and thank you for sharing your situation. It appears that some embroidered flowers might be the best solution.

SusieQOH 01-07-2018 06:20 AM

I have had great success with Retro Clean. It gets out stains but doesn't hurt the fabric. I've used it in many antique quilts and linens.

feline fanatic 01-07-2018 07:02 AM

As Teen suggested, I would try Dawn blue dish soap to get the stains out. I have only heard of this happening one other time to an Australian LA quilter. Sadly, the quilt was ruined. I believe, although this is entirely hearsay, that they involved the batting manufacturer but I don't recall who the manufacturer was.

Onebyone 01-07-2018 07:31 AM

Natural doesn't always mean better. My first time using 100% natural cotton batting was my last.

thimblebug6000 01-07-2018 09:56 AM

I am wondering if you will just keep making it worse each time you dampen the item? There is probably still oil in the seeds? I have never encountered this using Warm and Natural or Hobbs.