Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cotton top and fleece or flanel backing- (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cotton-top-fleece-flanel-backing-t15889.html)

Quilting G 01-27-2009 02:57 PM

Have you used either? If you use fleece do you still use a batting?

Just curious it seems like a cozy idea..

G

purplemem 01-27-2009 02:58 PM

I've used both and don't like either! The flannel makes the quilt heavy and thick, and the fleece STRETCHES when you try to quilt it. After quilting the fleece, it feels hard from the stitches and not fluffy at all.
That's my two cents worth of experience.

sewmuch 01-27-2009 03:20 PM

jUST FINISHED A RAIL FENCE QUILT W/BATTING AND FLANNEL BACKING(JELLY BEANS, CUTE) FOR GD. iT IS HEAVIER THAT THE ONES i USUALLY MAKE, BUT WILL BE COZY FOR HER, SHE LIVES AT THE OCEAN.

mpspeedy 01-27-2009 03:41 PM

Hi,

I have been making Linus Quilts using fleece for the backs. Those I don't put batting in and do them envelope style. I have also done the same with flannel on the backs some with batting some without. The flannel back is nice for lap robes or those who are bedridden etc. The flannel keeps the quilt from sliding off of the person so easily.

ScubaK 01-27-2009 06:06 PM

I have used fleece, with a batting...I use very simple quilting...basic in the ditch..
I have used flannel...was at least twice for shrinkage...used it with batting and works well...
All up to personal preference, I guess
Kirsten

pocoellie 01-27-2009 06:17 PM

If you use fleece I wouldn't use a batting, but fleece does stretch and the rest doesn't. So personally, if I used fleece instead of batting I would tie the quilt instead of trying to quilt it. I personally have never used flannel for the batting although I do know people who have.

Prism99 01-27-2009 06:33 PM

If I were to use fleece for the backing (and I like the idea of not sliding around for a lap quilt), I would heavily starch the fleece before making the quilt sandwich. This would keep the fleece from stretching when you machine quilt.

My recipe for heavy starching is to mix a solution of Sta-Flo liquid starch 1:1 with water and paint it on the fabric with a wall painting brush. I toss the fabric in the dryer, then iron with steam. This makes a fairly stiff fabric that is *not* going to stretch!

Although I haven't used fleece for a backing fabric, I have used it for a pieced top. I'm really glad I starched the fabric heavily before cutting. All of the blocks came out to size and went together very easily.

I think starch is an underused produce among quilters!

Mary

mpeters1200 01-27-2009 06:42 PM

I have never used fleece, except for those no sew throw things.

I have used flannel on many a child's charity quilt. I've made them all with batting as they are made as winter quilts for local hospital units and the Ronald McDonald house and such. I've always tied the flannel ones, more for speed and use than anything else. I like it. I've made my kids some too and they last a long time.

BlueChicken 01-27-2009 11:02 PM

I use fleece a lot... I think! We call it polar fleece, and it's kind of fluffy, and stretches?

It's great on kids quilts, cuddly and warm. I don't generally use batting as well, although I have done on one that was for a small child with cancer, she needed to be kept warm so put the batting in for extra thickness.

I've never had any trouble with it going hard through stitching, or stretching.

eparys 01-28-2009 04:25 AM

My very first quilt was a Log Cabin Quilt in a Day for my son when he got his "big bed" in 1986. It was in navy's and white's and since there was no one to guide me, I used batting and a navy cotton flannel backing - and because I didn't know what else to do I tied it.

It was washed over and over (never experienced any stretching) and lived a hard life in a little boys room. He used it a a bed cover/blanket. It recently moved with him to his new apartment. He still loves it and now that it is on it's last legs I expect soon I will do a new quilt for him.

So - use both!