Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Could just bawl!!! Please give suggestions! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/could-just-bawl-please-give-suggestions-t177078.html)

mommabear62 01-26-2012 03:46 PM

Could just bawl!!! Please give suggestions!

I could just bawl and tear my hair out. I have been working on a quilt for my 7 year old granddaughter. One block is entirely applique. Have never done this before and if I never do it again that will be too soon! Well anyway, I have put everything on the background and ironed everything on. Looks ok but really need lots of practice with this. I was to cut the block now to 12 1/2 inches. I made one cut and realized I should not have done this!! Now my block is way off center because of the way I made that one cut. Can I just take the applique's off and spray baste them onto another piece of background? I do not have enough material to cut everything out and start all over again and after the trouble I had I really wouldn't want to do this either. Can the applique pieces be saved!!!!

bnndr 01-26-2012 03:51 PM

Mommabear, If it is hand appliqued you can pick the threads used to sew the pieces down and reapplique to a different block. I have done this before, not fun but it is necessary some times. Hope this helped. I dont know about spray basting though if you are hand appliquing.

ckcowl 01-26-2012 03:54 PM

you could just cut around the design and put them onto a new back ground piece if that will work for you- or you could simply add a piece back onto the background you cut- maybe add some more appliques to disguise the add on- but really you probably wont even be able to tell the added piece when it is all done and quilted- it does not have to be perfect- it only needs to be done with love- so, don't bawl---just compromise and carry on- she will love it!
many of our errors just lead to new design features :)
if you choose to add back onto the area you cut off you could then (after centering/squaring) add a frame border all the way around to distract- but i bet it will be just fine...

raedar63 01-26-2012 03:56 PM

I would cut out the whole thing and then put it on a new background. Maybe not a perfectionist fix but it is what I would do. I would then probly blanket sticth around it if it lookes too thick.

linda8450 01-26-2012 03:57 PM

Can you cut the block square to the largest measurement possible, then add sashing/borders to make it the size it needs to be to finish out your pattern? Or cut the background fabric as small as possible and applique it to a larger block of the correct size? If you can lift the pieces off, I see no reason why you couldn't replace them onto a new background block! Linda

raptureready 01-26-2012 04:00 PM

Cut it down and put a border on it. If your quilt is one that doesn't have a center block, cut down a few more and put borders on them. Eat some chocolate and relax with your favorite beverage. After a box of chocolates solutions will just come to you out of the blue.

QandE2010 01-26-2012 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready (Post 4913910)
Cut it down and put a border on it. If your quilt is one that doesn't have a center block, cut down a few more and put borders on them. Eat some chocolate and relax with your favorite beverage. After a box of chocolates solutions will just come to you out of the blue.

I agree, then if you really need to, go ahead and bawl. It is good for the soul.

mississippiqltr 01-26-2012 05:20 PM

Cut block a smaller size square and border it would be my suggestion. It would be the easiest solution.
Take a break have a chocolate bar and something to drink, relax then go back to it.:thumbup:

hobbykat1955 01-26-2012 05:23 PM

if you used wonder under or heat bond...just reheat them with iron and pull off carefully...then you can reuse

Tartan 01-26-2012 05:27 PM

Can you make your goof a design element? I would cut a nice circle around the applique and applique the circle unto a different coloured background square. OR You could machine sew the circle unto a new background square and stitch down a piece of trim over the stitching line. If a circle won't work try a different shape like an oval or diamond shape. Do a couple of the other blocks the same way and people will think you wanted to do it that way.