Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Could my ruler be to blame? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/could-my-ruler-blame-t286686.html)

purplefiend 03-10-2017 09:46 AM

If your ruler has a burnt spot on it, I would buy a new ruler.

When I am cutting fabric, I hang my pinky off the edge of the ruler so it stays put. Also I "walk" my hand up the ruler when I am using a long ruler, also use sand paper dots on the bottom of the ruler.
Sharon in Texas

Pennyhal 03-10-2017 11:24 AM

I find that just one ruler does not do as well as having a few rulers of different length and widths. I also had a plastic's store cut me some clear squares in different sizes so that I can plop one down on top of a block and quickly see if the block is square of where it is off.

My main problem in now getting good cuts is that I don't have the fabric folded correctly. So after every two cuts, I check the fabric to see if it is still square. If not, I do a trimming cut.

quilttiger 03-11-2017 05:46 AM

Consider trying Nexcare tape (found in first aid supply section in pharmacies, etc.) to try out on a ruler. Place rows of tape down the sides and possibly down the middle of the ruler. I was amazed how well the ruler stayed on top of the fabric. I also experimented covering the entire back of a small square ruler (4.5 inches). It was lovely to be able to turn the square ruler around while trimming off the excess fabric.

duckydo 03-11-2017 05:58 AM

I have tried various non slip products on my rulers. The best product to date for me has been Grip Strips by Guidelines 4 Quilting... You can do a search at Guidelines4Quilting.com and look for grip strips... They can be cut to any size, they are clear and my rulers never slip. If you like the ruler you are using no need to replace it.

Grannyh67 03-11-2017 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7781200)
I use the Slidelock for safety on top of all my long rulers. I use the cut resistant glove when I don't use the Slidelock. Have you seen the new Dragonskin ones from Slidelock?

No I have not, guess I will have to check that out, thanls

Beachbaby12 03-11-2017 06:25 AM

I'd get a new ruler - Joann's is having 40% off, plus 25% off your total purchase. I got an $18.00 with tax for about $8 and change - good deal to me. Plus you will be more encouraged.

mama3many 03-11-2017 09:24 AM

My new ruler is here!

So much better!!!

Bjbaxter 03-11-2017 10:51 AM

If you have one near you, go to a quilt store, buy that new ruler, and a fat quarter (or take one with you), demonstrate to the clerk how you are cutting, and see if they can help you out! I can't believe that you only have one ruler - I have way too many rulers, but still a selection is nice.

katesnanna 03-11-2017 06:47 PM

Grip Strips are the best. I've been using them for years now.

gmcsewer 03-12-2017 12:03 PM

Have you seen the June Tailor Shape cut? It is 16" by16" and slots in it for the rotary cutter to fit in. You can cut any width strip on 1/2 inch increments and don't have to move the ruler till you are finished with that fabric. Try looking on youtube for a demo.