Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Could someone please explain the finer points... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/could-someone-please-explain-finer-points-t25200.html)

Mousie 09-09-2009 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
well to me a ufo is a top waiting to be quilted and a wip is one still being pieced. I'm a new quilter though so those terms may mean something else to others!

your right...these terms could be slightly different from one person to the next,...for me if I call something, an unfinished object, instead of by the name I am giving it...it means I am avoiding it.
I try not to use the term ufo, anymore. I agree with k3n, that it is more motivating to call them all WIP's, and I will get back to it, sooner! :wink:

Jim's Gem 09-09-2009 12:25 PM

For me a WIP is something that I am currenty working on, whatever the stage. A UFO is something that has sat, unworked on for more than a month or two. I intend to finish most of my projects, someday. Some just get set aside to work on a more impending project, or two, or three. Some of my UFO's are in rubbermaid tubs. Others are on my extra fancy quilt hanger (the treadmill in the family room) or on the back of the couch in my family room, which also happens to be my sewing room and computer room.

Lisanne 09-09-2009 12:40 PM

For me, a WIP is something you're actually working on.

A UFO is something you've set aside, unfinished at whatever stage, and are not currently working on.

Say you're working on one thing, and for whatever reason, you start something else. If you continue to work on both, they're both WIPs. But if you work only on the second one, even if you intend to finish the first one just as soon as you're done with the new one, the first one is a UFO until you start working on it again.

Granted, you could assign a minimum amount of time before it becomes a UFO. If you stop to make a one-day or weekend project, then for that couple of days it would be silly to think of the other project as a UFO.

LucyInTheSky 09-09-2009 02:38 PM

I have a fabric closet where one side has lots and lots of not used fabric. On the other side is quilt tops waiting to be quilted and projects that I started (a lot of times for a class), got home, put away, and don't think of them until I see them - those are my UFOs.

I also have about 5-10 projects out throughout my house at any given time. Since I see those on a regular basis and think about working on them, and eventually get to them - those are my WIPs.

Jim's Gem 09-09-2009 03:41 PM

My thought is that everyone has their own personal interpretation of what a UFO constitutes. What I call a UFO someone else may call a WIP. Some may even call a stack of fabrics put together with it's pattern a UFO. Others call it a PIG (project in grocery sack)
You can call yours what you want. There are no quilt or term police around here!!

littlehud 09-09-2009 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
well to me a ufo is a top waiting to be quilted and a wip is one still being pieced. I'm a new quilter though so those terms may mean something else to others!

That is my definition too.

k3n 09-09-2009 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
it is more motivating to call them all WIP's, and I will get back to it, sooner! :wink:

Yes, that's my philosophy! :D

Others are on my extra fancy quilt hanger (the treadmill in the family room)
I KNEW those things had a use! :mrgreen:

Some may even call a stack of fabrics put together with it's pattern a UFO. Others call it a PIG (project in grocery sack)
I LOVE that! :D

Boston1954 09-10-2009 06:15 AM

To me a UFO is a project that is falling by the wayside while I start, and sometimes even finish something else. A WIP is one that is currently being worked on.

nellie 09-10-2009 01:32 PM

for me a ufo is tops that i have to finish :D ,my poor ufo,s i hope to some day finish them in this life time :D and more please lord let me make more :D

GailG 09-10-2009 04:47 PM

With all of my UFOs, I have full INTENTIONS to finish them....someday. The WIPs are those that are still being actively worked on. Although, at times the WIPs seem to be UFOs because I don't get to the projects as much as I'd like to. In my case, the UFOs are packed in boxes or bags and put away in the closet. The WIPs are still out where I can see them. Isn't that hilarious. If you could see my sewing room, you'd die laughing at this description. :lol: :lol: :lol: