Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Craftsy Classes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/craftsy-classes-t222766.html)

hopetoquilt 06-01-2013 08:31 PM

Bought two. Loved one and hated the other. The one I hated, I still learned a bit from.

kim_s 06-01-2013 08:55 PM

I took Angela Walters craftsy class on feathers and loved it! I just added feathers to the border of a quilt I just finished and I was very happy with the results. She shows how to make the traditional feather and the custom feather and goes on to show how to embellish them by echoing or making ferns instead of feathers, etc., then she shows how to fit them into a block and also how to fit them into borders. It was a great class and I really learned a lot.

You can also take "video notes" which, when you mark them, takes you right to that point of the video. So it's a great reference tool.

I am sure you won't be disappointed if you take her class.

SusanSusan33 06-02-2013 02:10 AM

I'm doing the quilting quickly one right now. It's fun and Ive learned some great skills that will help my piecing. Though Jenny sews VERY fast. What skill!

PaperPrincess 06-02-2013 04:44 AM

I've taken several. It's like anything else, some were wonderful, one was horrible, and the rest were OK. I got a refund on the class that I didn't like at all. No hassle at all. The general format is good, you can watch them as many times as you like, ask questions etc. The classes I was less impressed with were the ones where the instructor also had a book out and the class didn't have a whole lot of additional info. If you are a visual learner and do better with video instructions than a book, this is a good way to go.

matraina 06-02-2013 05:54 AM

Thanks, Carolaug. I had done that but I wanted the classes. It got to be confusing.

matraina 06-02-2013 05:55 AM

Thank you, dunster. That is what I was looking for - someone who had experience and could recommend.

matraina 06-02-2013 06:01 AM

Thanks, everyone. You've been a great help, as usual. I'm so glad you were able to recommend some.

EllieGirl 06-02-2013 06:24 AM

I'm taking a class from Leah Day called Free Motion Fillers. I've learned a lot and I haven't even started the actual FMQ lesson! The advantage to taking Craftsy over just watching YouTube is you can ask the instructor questions and she will reply within 1-2 days. You are also provided a list of supplies you'll need for the course. Also, each course you take you come out of it with a finished product. This class I'm taking will be a lap quilt with 50 individual blocks and each block has a different FMQ design, so basically I'm learning 50 different styles of FMQ.

jmoore 06-03-2013 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6098327)
I took Angela Walters' Free Motion Quilting with Feathers, excellent class.

I'll have to look for this one... I must admit I try to purchase them when they are on sale.

cactusmomma 06-03-2013 04:36 AM

I haven't taken any classes on feathers but I have taken a few of the Craftsy classes. Although there are free classes online, I really like the Craftsy platform. I never pay full price for the classes and I grab all the free ones.