Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Craftsy On Line Classes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/craftsy-line-classes-t192078.html)

lsb142 06-18-2012 04:19 AM

Craftsy On Line Classes

Have any of you bought the Kaye England Civil War Blocks class? I have all the Craftsy quilting classes and I have to say this is my least favorite. I love the blocks but I don't think the Ms. England gives enough instruction on cutting and putting together the blocks. She seems more interested in selling her rulers. I do think the rulers will help in cutting the pieces. I will probably buy them but I don't think I will buy her brand. Just my opinion.

Linda

hopetoquilt 06-18-2012 04:07 PM

I haven't seen the class but I hate when the class is a blatant form of advertisement for buying more products, especially when it is not advertised as this.

I have considered taking the class on FMQ as another board member recommended it. Did you take this class yet?

LadyElisabeth 06-18-2012 05:09 PM

I haven't signed up for any of the classes yet. I have considered it but time and money are limited at this time.

misskira 06-18-2012 05:22 PM

They welcome feedback and have a money back guarantee. I would email. I did the machine quilting class and it's excellent. No advertising that I noticed at least. If paying for a class it would bug me so much I doubt I could finish it to be honest.

Silver Needle 06-18-2012 05:44 PM

I have taken a class personally from Kay England and enjoyed it very much. I also signed up for the civil war class but haven't viewed any of them yet. I have her half square and quarter square rulers and a couple of others and will usually adjust other patterns to make use of her rulers. I like the way they are set up color wise. They are easier for me to read than the yellow ones.

lsb142 06-19-2012 06:17 AM

Maybe I was just in a bad mood when watching the videos. I'll admit that the civil war blocks are over my head. I guess that's why I didn't think there was enough instruction. It didn't bother me enough that I would ask for my money back. I'm a quilting tool nut so I guess I will give these rulers a try or maybe try the June Tailor one. I just hadn't noticed the other instructors having as much to sell other than their books.

Silver Needle 06-21-2012 09:21 AM

The method using the rulers is a little confusing. For me I had to learn not to go by the shape of the ruler but by the name of it. Also she does have a lot of ruler sizes so it can appear overwhelming. The first thing I did of her was the project that came in the little floral suitcase. I had to go back an get extra fabric several times because I cut something wrong. But I am glad now I persevered. I use the half square and quarter square triangle method on almost all blocks like that. I have determined though I do like cutting blocks just a little larger then squaring them up.

scrapinmema 06-21-2012 10:47 AM

I am taking this class and really enjoying it. For me it is more or less a refresher course but I'm also letting my 17 year old granddaughter take it with me and she loves it. I did purchase the fat quarter bundle that they offered for my granddaughter and was total disappointed in it. Trying to see how it can be returned.

MaggieBB 06-21-2012 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt (Post 5299230)
I haven't seen the class but I hate when the class is a blatant form of advertisement for buying more products, especially when it is not advertised as this.

I have considered taking the class on FMQ as another board member recommended it. Did you take this class yet?

I have purchased theFMQ class, found it very informative, and got it for a whole year, meaning i can go back and get help any time I get stuck or can't remember what I should do. Would highly reccomend this cource.