Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Crayola washable markers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/crayola-washable-markers-t227062.html)

Jackietellijohn60 08-01-2013 04:44 PM

Crayola washable markers

I searched for this subject but nothing came up. Has anyone used the cheap crayola washable markers for marking a quilt? Problems?

Yakkity 08-01-2013 04:59 PM

Yes, I use the Crayola washable markers. I love them! I even iron over them, sometimes often, and have never had an issue of not being able to wash them put in the washer. The only kind I use.

jillnjo 08-01-2013 05:24 PM

Yep, I've had great luck with them! Never ironed over them, though, but it's nice to know. You might try marking a scrap piece of your fabric to be on the safe side. I have used several colors on white Kona to test the markers and it all just washed away!

Jackietellijohn60 08-01-2013 05:36 PM

Super! I picked up a cheap pack at Cub today; fine line. Thought they'd be great if they truly wash out!!

nativetexan 08-01-2013 07:55 PM

I tested green on my yellow fabric and all worked fine. but I marked my quilt with a heavy hand due to having to get in the stencil openings. it took six washings and every spray I had to get that green out!!

katier825 08-02-2013 01:43 AM

Yes and they are usually fine, but test with every fabric you are using them on. I had one that it didn't want to come out of.

helou 08-02-2013 02:26 AM

That's all I use. I read somewhere on this board that yellow can be a problem so I have not used it. the last quilt I finished, some of it did not go away with the first wash but did after I washed the quilt a second time. I always try it first on a piece of scrap . Oupss that being said, I just remember that I forgot to do the test with a piece of fabric of the quilt I am working on now. Well. it will be fine (I think) loll

ckcowl 08-02-2013 02:27 AM

what ever 'marking tool' you choose to use - you should ALWAYS test on each project- sometimes your chosen marking tool may come out of every fabric just great for 10 projects- then that 11th project it's not coming out! different fabrics sometimes behave differently- some seem to 'hold on' to marks much more than others...to be safe- always check on a scrap or small area that wont be seen if it does not come out....the Crayola washables are pretty good- once in a while a color may be more difficult than others though. prewashed fabrics are generally easier to remove marks from than not pre-washed fabrics not always- but sometimes it makes a difference.

Sunnye 08-02-2013 05:40 AM

I've used them but they come off on my hands by the time I mark everything (they don't come off the fabric but I do end up with colored hands!). I've gone back to chalk and love it.

Buckeye Rose 08-02-2013 05:54 AM

I've even used the cheaper brands of washable markers with great success....I like them not only for their washable qualities, but because I always have a fine point if needed and with the variety of colors, one of them will be right for the fabric I am marking.