Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   crayola washable markers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/crayola-washable-markers-t302652.html)

MarionsQuilts 01-29-2019 03:52 PM

crayola washable markers

Is there a way to remove some of the markings without putting the whole top in the wash to start all over?

I use the markers a lot to mark my quilts, and I love them. I've made a couple of boo-boos on the one I am marking (it's just white fabric right now), and I want to remove some lines ... but don't want to lose all of the work that I have put into it so far.

Thanks

Marion

Tartan 01-29-2019 05:12 PM

I would try dampening a piece of quilt batt and rub it over the marks I wanted to remove and see if that works. If not, I would them fill a squirt bottle with water and spritz the spot until the marks disappeared. I would put a towel under the back to catch excess water.

meyert 01-29-2019 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8202168)
I would try dampening a piece of quilt batt and rub it over the marks I wanted to remove and see if that works. If not, I would them fill a squirt bottle with water and spritz the spot until the marks disappeared. I would put a towel under the back to catch excess water.

I second this suggestion :)

quiltingshorttimer 01-29-2019 07:42 PM

I have a little pen item from LQS that you can refill the water part much like the cartridge ink pens I used in HS. It works well for very specific spot cleaning with water. BTY I quit using the markers when I had a customer give me a quilt that the green would not wash out until I used Grandma's Stain Stick in the first wash and then OxyClean in 2nd wash--I found out later that she had used starch in the fabric and that may have made the difference. But I'm not going to try it again.

themadpatter 01-30-2019 01:03 AM

I did a test on some white fabric. I wrote the name of the color and took a picture with my phone, then either hand washed it or swished it in water, I forget which. Blue came out of the fabric the best. I'm gonna have to experiment with starch and the markers.

MarionsQuilts 01-30-2019 05:01 AM

Thanks everyone!

I have used these markers under extreme conditions! I have used them with starch, hairspray, I've ironed them, I've gone over them in different colours and I have never had any issues with the colours coming out. Any of the colours.

You do, however, have to wash the quilt on a full, heavy duty load. I washed one once on a quick cycle, and some of the colours didn't come out. I almost panicked! But I put it back in the machine on a heavy duty load, and there were no more markings left. I don't use anything special to wash / treat it before it goes in the machine. I use unscented no name laundry soap and that's it.

Kitsie 01-30-2019 08:54 AM

I just put an 'X' on that line that is wrong. The 'X' washes out too!

MarionsQuilts 01-30-2019 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie (Post 8202520)
I just put an 'X' on that line that is wrong. The 'X' washes out too!

I usually do that, but I have changed my mind about where I want some of the lines, so it will become a bit messy! I'm doing a gridwork FMQ from Judi Madsen's book ... I don't need too many x's ... the designs themselves are confusing!

judykay 01-31-2019 07:39 AM

I am using them on the quilt I am currently working on and needed to change the design a little because of seam allowances in the border. I just used a different color next to the orgingal. I have used them for years with no problem but have found if you spritz them with water the marks smear which is why I use a different color. I have never had a problem with them washing out.

MarionsQuilts 01-31-2019 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I did it! Thanks Tartan for the suggestion. I put a big towel underneath, held my finger on the spot I didn't want it going past and sprayed with a water bottle (on stream so I could aim!) ... and it worked like a charm!

Thanks again!

Here's a pic so everyone understands why I couldn't just use 'x's to cancel it out ... a bit too confusing

[ATTACH=CONFIG]607674[/ATTACH]