Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Crazy Eight pattern question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/crazy-eight-pattern-question-t191305.html)

goofygirl2u 06-09-2012 05:05 PM

Crazy Eight pattern question

I am so frustrated. I took the Crazy Eight Strip Teaser table topper class today and the teacher incorrectly marked the "cut" lines on my ruler. Of course, I didn't realize this until ALL my triangles were cut and it came time to sew them together because they would not match correctly. We tried several ways to get them to work. I trimmed them more after we found the mistake thinking "no problem they will just be smaller", but that didn't help and made them worse. I finally gave up and made new strip sets and only cut the triangles from one set....after we fixed the error on the ruler. However, I was still leary to proceed. Class ended and I came home disappointed because after hours of sewing I have nothing to show for it.

I REALLY want to finish this as it as done in blue and green batiks and the triangles I made are really pretty.

Sooooo my question is can anyone who has used this pattern explain the correct way to mark the "cut" lines on the ruler? I have re-read the entire pattern and studied the picture showing ruler marks but I can't tell if I use a 12 1/2" side and non-12 1/2" side or the two non 12 1/2" sides. I KNOW it's not both 12 1/2" sides as that is where the screwup was. If you can pm me a pic that would be great, too as I am a visual learner.

Sorry to be long-winded but I had to get this off my chest. Oh, and good thing I bought extra fabric.

Thanks,
Becky

BKrenning 06-09-2012 05:37 PM

I haven't done this pattern yet but it looks like strip sets cut into equilateral triangles which is 4 60 degree triangles. If you have one of the Stack 'n' Whack/One Block Wonder hexagon rulers--that is the size you need. If you're trying to use a regular square ruler by using the lines on it--you use 60 degrees and 120 degrees or flip the ruler over.

BKrenning 06-09-2012 06:03 PM

Ooops! It won't let me fix my post. I think your triangles are 90 degrees which is the corner of any square ruler. The little triangles appear to be half the height of the larger ones.

liking quilting 06-10-2012 04:38 AM

Oh, I just have to say how sorry I was to hear of your disappointment with that class. Seems to me you should have had a teacher offer to make that up to you (not just as that's ok, they'll just be smaller.) If it was her mistake in marking the ruler for you, she should have made that right by you.

Gail B 06-10-2012 05:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
What a bummer for this to happen!

Here are pics of my ruler markings for the Strip Teaser. Hope this helps.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]341033[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]341034[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]341035[/ATTACH]

BeckySt 06-10-2012 06:04 AM

I made one about a year ago and had no problems, if you still need help send me a private message and I would be happy to get my pattern out and help you.

goofygirl2u 06-10-2012 09:36 AM

Thanks Gail. The picture really helps. Now maybe I can finish the project.

jaciqltznok 06-11-2012 05:35 AM

if you cut everything the same, then just sew it and be done..they will all end up the same!

goofygirl2u 06-11-2012 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok (Post 5280801)
if you cut everything the same, then just sew it and be done..they will all end up the same!

Jacquie,

Unfortunately, that was not the case because of the way the triangles were cut. They did not match up when you tried to sew them together. Trust me, we tried everything to get them to match. At least I know what to do now and can finish my project.

Becky

quiltmom04 06-11-2012 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by liking quilting (Post 5278195)
Oh, I just have to say how sorry I was to hear of your disappointment with that class. Seems to me you should have had a teacher offer to make that up to you (not just as that's ok, they'll just be smaller.) If it was her mistake in marking the ruler for you, she should have made that right by you.

I agree. I made a mistake in having a student cut fabric and bought her more. It wasn't much fabric, but I felt terrible and wanted to make it right.