Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Crazy Quilting Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/crazy-quilting-question-t104907.html)

SpoiltCatDad 03-04-2011 09:06 AM

Is there a certain pattern or block pattern to follow on crazy quilts? Or are there certain guidelines to follow? Thanks in advance for any input.

quiltsRfun 03-04-2011 09:11 AM

I've seen patterns/templates and I've also seen them done free form. Did a little crazy quilting myself and I just made it up as I went along. I got a book that had stitches and other ideas. It can be a true art form and a real expression of yourself. Have fun!

clem55 03-04-2011 09:35 AM

I tried just adding pieces, and had a four sided piece to start. After doing this, I felt maybe my starting piece should have been different. Then I read you should start with a 5 sided piece. I would also go around in a clockwise direction. I didn"t do that, and there were some problems.

deema 03-04-2011 09:38 AM

I think the beauty of crazy quilts is that you don't need any of that! I mean, I guess you could use a pattern or something, but the point of it, to me, is to just go with the flow and do whatever you feel like doing!

moosegirl 03-04-2011 11:32 AM

There are lots of ways to start a crazy block. Place starting piece in a corner and work out to the edges. Use a 5 sided piece and work like a log cabin design. Make two piles of large pieces and sew one from each pile to create a 2piece unit then cut apart make two more piles and sew creating a 4piece unit etc. Collage style just layer pieces to cover a base square and turn under raw edges or there are paper pieced patterns available too. Mooosegirl

Marge L. 03-04-2011 04:24 PM

There are patterns available. First quilt I ever made was a pattern. Now mine are free flow. I go where ever I feel like. You can start in the corner but I never have. Sometimes I start with a 4-sided piece and sometimes with 5. Depends on my mood. Just think--no seams to match!!!!!!!!!

leakus 03-04-2011 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by moosegirl
There are lots of ways to start a crazy block. Place starting piece in a corner and work out to the edges. Use a 5 sided piece and work like a log cabin design. Make two piles of large pieces and sew one from each pile to create a 2piece unit then cut apart make two more piles and sew creating a 4piece unit etc. Collage style just layer pieces to cover a base square and turn under raw edges or there are paper pieced patterns available too. Mooosegirl

Thanks for your idea! I need to remember when I start a crazy quilt with fabrics from grandma, mom and sisters.

AliKat 03-05-2011 03:53 PM

I used different sides to my blocks - all were purposefully made wonky: triangles, 4 sided, 5 sided, and 6 sided. I loved the variety the different sided beginnings made in the overall effect. I did foundation piecing so I didn't overgrow the block too much. And I did go in only one direction around the first piece and subsequent pieces.

It was fun and a great way to use of scraps.

ali

Jojesek 03-15-2011 06:59 AM

I'm new to crazy quilting and there are lots of tutorials on how to make the blocks. I kind of read them all the made up my own. One of the things that I love about crazy quilting is that there don't seem to be any rules and so my perfectionism is not a hindrance to me anymore. Google crazy quilt block instructions, read a few then google images for crazy quilts for some ideas and inspiration and the go to town. (I will get round to posting some pictures soon)

moosegirl 03-15-2011 07:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by moosegirl

Currently working on purple/marron crazy patch from men's ties and making progress. Moosegirl

crazy block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]170073[/ATTACH]