Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Creative Uses for Your Serger? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/creative-uses-your-serger-t164408.html)

joivey 10-31-2011 04:14 AM

Glad you like it. I bought the towel with the bands at Dollar Tree. Don't know if they still have the horizontal bands, but I know they have many colors with vertical bands.

ambquilter 10-31-2011 05:11 AM

I have a serger but I can't figure out how to get it not to trim the edge. Can someone help me with this?

Krystyna 10-31-2011 05:16 AM

I don't know about yours, but with mine you can flip the cutter up and out of the way.

RedThread 10-31-2011 05:17 AM

Several people have PM'd me wanting the title to the book I described. Now that I know the name of the book, I thought I would go ahead and post it here in case others are interested! The book is "Ready, Set, Serge" by Georgie Melot. I got it off of ebay and love it! The LQS where I bought my serger used it to teach the classes. The cosmetic bags take about 5 minutes to make and look really good! I am thinking about making them for co-workers for Christmas and putting their favorite lipstick or a gift card inside. The book gives a basic version of an item and then a stepped-up (more challenging) version of the same item.
Linda[/quote]
Thank you for sharing the book name. I like the idea of the cosmetic bags as gifts.

RedThread 10-31-2011 05:34 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I got pretty far yesterday playing with my new serger. Broke every thread, accidently, and was forced to learn how to thread it. It took a while, but wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Here are my beginner projects. At this point they have cost me about $300 each, not counting fabric!!!

Baby hat from rectangle of fleece
[ATTACH=CONFIG]273894[/ATTACH]

Serged Receiving Blanket
[ATTACH=CONFIG]273895[/ATTACH]

Close up of edging, Hey it took me 8 hours to figure this out!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]273897[/ATTACH]

RedThread 10-31-2011 05:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the hat right side up (sorry).

Baby hat
[ATTACH=CONFIG]273916[/ATTACH]

joivey 10-31-2011 05:45 AM

Does anyone knowabout a book put out by Babylock that is about Serger accessories? It is a hardback, loose leaf, workbook, but is $79 at the dealer?
Jo Ann

mountain deb 10-31-2011 05:46 AM

When I first got my serger, I had to make 5 angel costumes for a church out of bridal satin. The pattern they chose was medeival. They turned out beautiful. That serger was acquired at just the right time. I have used it for years and do not know how I could have gotten along without it.

mountain deb 10-31-2011 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by joivey
Does anyone knowabout a book put out by Babylock that is about Serger accessories? It is a hardback, loose leaf, workbook, but is $79 at the dealer?
Jo Ann

Now why would they charge for a book on accessories? You could probably buy an accessory or two with that price.

scarlet14 10-31-2011 05:49 AM

try running some of your fancy threads through the serger--not sewing to anything just run them through---use these for couching on anything---beautifull as accents on Christmas things like table runners-- be sure to put the pressure foot down when doing this as tension is better that was---good way to use up some thread you bought and now wonder why---[not yhat I have ever done that]---you can run bulky threads and yarn though also in the loopers and make "new" thread---you can also put fusible thread in the bottom looper so you can tack it in place before you couch it on---[that could be a bit expensive on a large project] It's really fun to see what you come up with