Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Creative ways for storing threads and bobbins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/creative-ways-storing-threads-bobbins-t255507.html)

sjdal 10-20-2014 05:10 AM

Storing threads and bobbins

I have a wooden box with a lid, but any box would work. My threads cones fit, a drinking straw is cut to fit inside with enough sticking out the top of the cone to hold the bobbin. Everything stays together.

angelarose 10-20-2014 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 (Post 6934824)
hm...the little baggies may work because I too don't like all the tangled threads. I like the mini ponytails for the bobbins too. Good ideas, thanks!

I use the snack size baggies , or larger, for the spool of thread with its matching bobbins. I use pony tail elastics to keep the thread wound around the bobbin. Works for me!

RosaSharon 10-20-2014 06:44 AM

Great information! Thanks

Originally Posted by Aurora (Post 6934666)
I purchase small plastic bags from the jewelry craft area a WalMart. I put my spool of thread and bobbin in one bag together. They are then stored in a plastic box. It works because it keeps my thread and bobbin together and they do not get tangled. I do this with all my threads because I transport them to guild and UFO's. The plastic bags come in various sizes, but WalMart only has a couple of them. Hobby Lobby has a large number of sizes. They are not expensive and I use the larger ones to store and transport my cut squares for piecing.

julybaby8 10-20-2014 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaPBradshaw (Post 6934713)
I bought very small round fabric type elastic at Walmart to put around my bobbins and they fit just fine in a bobbin case. Hope that makes sense.

I use these too.

PolkaBabe 10-20-2014 07:27 AM

I use Q-tips. Stick it in the center of spool & put the bobbin with matching thread.

M cubed 10-20-2014 07:50 AM

I use two different methods: first, a wooden rack, commercially made. I had to modify it because the little dowels were too short to hold my small cones. Drinking straws work wonderfully and they fit snuggly over the dowels. I cut the straw in half, fit it onto the dowel and now have room for the cone and its bobbin. Which brings me to the second storage method. At the hardware store, in the plumbing department is clear tubing. I get the 1 inch outside diameter tube (you buy it by the foot) and use my hose cutter to cut 1/4 inch slices. Then I cut them open (into a "C" shape). These fit perfectly over my bobbin, are easy to put on and take off, and because it is clear, I can see what color thread is on the bobbin. Out of a foot of tubing, you can cut a WHOLE BUNCH of bobbin minders (and it only cost about $1.00)

kay carlson 10-20-2014 07:50 AM

I use the thread boxes from Connecting Threads for spooled thread, a flat plastic container to stack cones on layer deep, rubber ring for neutral thread on bobbins for each machine, and small plastic fishing tackle case for colored thread on bobbins. Connecting Threads box and fishing tackle case open on both sides for easy access.

A separate flat plastic box holds specialty threads either in medicine bottles or plastic bags. Nylon thread with bobbin in medicine bottle; hand quilting thread in plastic bag; buttonhole and carpet thread in another plastic bag.

My rules are: visibility, accessibility, and no tangles!

M cubed 10-20-2014 07:51 AM

I forgot to mention that the bobbins fit nicely over the straws, so I can keep my bobbin with the thread.

EmbQuilt 10-20-2014 07:58 AM

The connecting thread box for thread storage http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...r__D82068.HTML

looks like the matchbox type boxes that I got at Walmart several years ago for like $5

carol45 10-20-2014 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 (Post 6934624)
I was on Pinterest looking for ways to organize threads and bobbins, and some of the displays are phenomenal. Unfortunately, I can't use things that hang on walls or buy extra cabinets because my sewing is done in a corner of my bedroom or my kitchen table. So...I need bin storage that would fit in a dresser drawer or under the bed.

How can I manipulate a flat bin to accommodate threads and matching bobbins without them rolling around when I move them? How do you store yours?

Here's my solution. Note that I also use the plastic tubing to keep the bobbin thread in place.