Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   critique please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/critique-please-t180189.html)

BettyGee 02-23-2012 07:17 AM

Well I guess I'm the only dork, but I like the white just as it is. To me it adds a "sparkle", but that is just MHO.

sewingtchr 02-23-2012 07:54 AM

Your not the only dork! I like it too just as it is! I thought the idea of a white narrow border all around was a great idea! I say... keep to your plan! Sometimes we overthink!! (is that a word? LOL!)

quiltmom04 02-23-2012 09:17 AM

I think the color differences of the whites make it look like you grabbed several UFO's and sewed them together. But if the colors were the same , it would be more cohesive. I understand that the blocks were added because they have the name "Kansas" in the title, but they should work together. I even think the blues in the background of the flying geese and the pinwheels should be the same. You are heading in the right direction, just a few tweaks will make it wonderful!

Scissor Queen 02-23-2012 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 4995830)
I would not tea stain it. It's too unpredictable and totally undoable. The wheat and the sunflower are going on top of the KT section, right? That will definitely tone it down. You might also audition a fairly narrow border of the white TOT inside the barn board print and next to the center section.

I think part of the reason the white looks so stark is that it's only in the center band. By adding a narrow frame of the same fabric, like matboard, you'll mitigate the "look at ME" effect of the white. You could even lap the appliqués onto the white border a bit to include it more. Certainly won't hurt anything to audition it.

Hmmmm, and it'll look even more like mat board if I do a flange instead of a border. It may not be white though.

I'm working on the changes today and I'll post a pic when I get things changed.

BarbaraSue 02-23-2012 10:36 AM

I don't have a problem with it as it is, especially if you are adding to it with the wheat, sun flower, and barn fabric. Each of those can be domineering themselves.
I did like the idea of moving the troubles to the top and the flying geese in the middle. the lightness of the troubles would be a natural landscape look, whether you call them mountains or clouds. And the narrow border idea of using TOT white would bring more together.
Good luck. I think it will be striking when you are done.

Tartan 02-23-2012 11:21 AM

I like the white with the light blue. I think the problem may be the contrast between the 2 row sets of blocks. I think if you alternated between the 2 rows, it would come together. Your Flying Geese at the top, than 1 row of Kansas Trouble, 1 row of Kansas Dugout, 1 row of Kansas Trouble.....etc. Your blocks look very nice!
OR
If you are going with the dark blocks at the bottom for land, blue blocks above for sky and flying geese in the distance than they look PERFECT! You have mentioned applique on top and that will pull it all together. You can also do some thread painting and quilting designs to complete your design idea.

jcrow 02-23-2012 12:06 PM

I thought it was two different quilts when I first saw it. The top two go together well, but the bottom seems to be out of place, to me. Maybe if you did a brown border around it all, it might tie it together. But I probably do things different than you. Not saying I'm right. I just think they need to go together more. You have brown in the top and bottom, but not in the middle. Can you somehow put a little brown in the middle? That's what I would do, but that's just me. I'm probably too conservative and stuck in my old ways. But you did a wonderful job. All those HST look great. And the flying geese are a bear for me, but you did a terrific job on them.

QandE2010 02-23-2012 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by sewingtchr (Post 5000818)
Your not the only dork! I like it too just as it is! I thought the idea of a white narrow border all around was a great idea! I say... keep to your plan! Sometimes we overthink!! (is that a word? LOL!)

I agree wholeheartedly. If overthink was not a word, it is now. LOL

Peckish 02-23-2012 12:39 PM

I agree with 2 things that other posters have said.

1. Using white will add sparkle. In fact, this is something I learned from Alex Anderson in her "neutrals" book - she showed an example of 2 quilts, one with white and one without. The one with white sparkled and the one without white looked muddy and dreary. However, having said that, it's sort of difficult to tell how well it works in your quilt, because your picture is somewhat blurry, I can't see the whole quilt, and the lighting you used may be affecting my perception.

2. I, too, am somewhat confused by what looks like 2 completely different quilts; triangles on top and squares on the bottom. However, as I said before, I can't see the whole quilt, and the finished quilt in your head may be absolutely wonderful.

I think you should go with what YOU determine YOU like best. :)

BrendaK 02-23-2012 01:00 PM

I just wanted to say that all the blocks are put together so nice. I am sure that how ever you deceide to do it it will be a wonderful block. BrendaK