Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cross Stitched Pictures in a Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cross-stitched-pictures-quilt-t94866.html)

frugalfabrics 01-28-2011 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by mom2suki
I do a lot of cross stitch and haven't used any in a big quilt. But I have selected a few that I've sewn borders on and made into small wall hangings. I think they've turned out cute and with the expense of getting the cross stitch pieces custom-framed, it's less expensive to combine them with quilting! :-)

The first cross-stitch I ever did, I made into a little fabric wall hanging for my grandma. Maybe I'll just do little quilted wall hangings with them. Thanks for the idea...I forgot about that first one I did.

Annevc 01-29-2011 04:45 AM

Hi, I made a baby quilt for my god-daughter with nine baby animals on it. I embroidered all the animals. She's seventeen on Feb. 1st. and still uses the quilt. Of-course I had to redo the embroidery . I used a toddlers coloring book for the animals.

clem55 01-29-2011 06:52 AM

Many years ago you could buy cross stitch blocks and even quilt kits in cross stitch, women cross stitched on pillowcases and dishtowels, and those were washed a lot. I have pillowcaes I stitched in the 50's that were used a lot, and the embrodery is still good, but the case is shot. a quilt wouldnt get washed that often, so go for it!

DJ 01-29-2011 08:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have used cross stitch in wall hangings. See pictures below and my avatar. I think the motifs should hold up pretty well in a quilt, especially if you bond some interfacing to the back to help secure the stitches. You can easily use the small ones for greeting cards . . . add them to a bag . . . there are so many possibilities. Don't discard them!

Greeting Card
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140682[/ATTACH]

Wall Hanging
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140683[/ATTACH]

Wall Hanging
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140748[/ATTACH]

Eddie 01-29-2011 08:59 AM

I really like that tulip wall hanging, DJ! Beautiful!!!

Dingle 01-29-2011 10:21 AM

I was wondering about this too. I have a bunch of cross stitch. Pin cushions, blocks that look like quilt blocks, unframed Prairie Schooler and Prairie Schooler christmas ornaments that are finished. I was thinking of selling these on this board but didn't know if I could because it's cross stitch and not quilting. I do know about being a regular. I just bounce back and forth. :D

frugalfabrics 01-29-2011 11:33 AM

Wow! - Thanks for the pics *DJ*. That's what I wanted to see...you have some beautiful work.

Ok, maybe I'll keep some and maybe sell a few, because I know I will never use them all up in my lifetime. I think I have about 50 pictures I've done or collected.

marybrace 01-29-2011 11:47 AM

As I read through this, I was first thinking about the cotton blocks that were (and still are) sold for cross stitch or embroidery for quilts. Some of the pictures shown are counted cross stitch on aida cloth. I sure hope the cross stitch on the cotton blocks will be durable for a quilt as my dear Mother left me enough to make enough quilts to "cover" the earth.

frugalfabrics 01-29-2011 11:57 AM

The ones that I have are all on the aida cloth...someone mentioned to put a fusible backing on them...which I hadn't thought about. that will definitely make a difference in using them. So yes, I think it's a go!

kateyb 01-29-2011 01:38 PM

I like counted cross stitch but don't do it. I've been buying pieces in thrift stores, etc. and plan to make a quilt with them. I think they may need to have interfacing behind them to keep them in shape. All the pieces I have washed have held up well to washing in a machine.